Valparaiso @ Evansville
Current Records: Valparaiso 11-15; Evansville 6-19
What to Know
The Valparaiso Beacons lost both of their matches to the Evansville Aces last season on scores of 52-70 and 51-58, so they're hoping to turn the tables this season. Valpo and Evansville will face off in a Missouri Valley battle at 2 p.m. ET Saturday at Ford Center. If the game is anything like their last meeting in last February, where the Aces won 58-51, we could be in for a big score.
It was close but no cigar for Valpo as they fell 71-69 to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers on Wednesday. The losing side was boosted by guard Sheldon Edwards, who shot 5-for-9 from beyond the arc and finished with 23 points.
Meanwhile, Evansville has to be hurting after a devastating 73-51 defeat at the hands of the Drake Bulldogs on Wednesday. Evansville was surely aware of their 16.5-point disadvantage in the point spread, but the foreknowledge did nothing to prevent the result. The top scorers for the Aces were forward Blake Sisley (14 points) and guard Blaise Beauchamp (12 points).
The Beacons are the favorite in this one, with an expected 3.5-point margin of victory. Those playing the odds have seen things go back and forth with Valpo, who are 12-12 against the spread.
The losses put Valpo at 11-15 and Evansville at 6-19. Two defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Valpo has allowed their opponents to shoot 45.40% from the floor on average, which is the 50th highest shooting percentage allowed in college basketball. Evansville has experienced some struggles of their own as they have allowed their opponents to shoot 48.40% from the floor on average, which is the 351st highest shooting percentage allowed in college basketball. The good news? The teams might be seeing more of their shots fall.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 2 p.m. ET
- Where: Ford Center -- Evansville, Indiana
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Beacons are a 3.5-point favorite against the Aces, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Beacons as a 2.5-point favorite.
Evansville have won six out of their last nine games against Valparaiso.
- Feb 01, 2021 - Evansville 58 vs. Valparaiso 51
- Jan 31, 2021 - Evansville 70 vs. Valparaiso 52
- Mar 05, 2020 - Valparaiso 58 vs. Evansville 55
- Jan 26, 2020 - Valparaiso 67 vs. Evansville 65
- Jan 04, 2020 - Valparaiso 81 vs. Evansville 79
- Mar 02, 2019 - Evansville 65 vs. Valparaiso 63
- Feb 02, 2019 - Evansville 64 vs. Valparaiso 53
- Feb 07, 2018 - Evansville 63 vs. Valparaiso 59
- Jan 24, 2018 - Evansville 75 vs. Valparaiso 65
Injury Report for EvansvilleNo Injury Information
Injury Report for Valparaiso
- Keyondre Young: Game-Time Decision (Hand)
- Trevor Anderson: Out for the Season (Back)