Valparaiso @ Illinois State
Current Records: Valparaiso 11-12; Illinois State 10-14
What to Know
The Illinois State Redbirds haven't won a matchup against the Valparaiso Beacons since Jan. 27 of 2018, but they'll be looking to end the drought on Wednesday. Illinois State and Valpo will face off in a Missouri Valley battle at 8 p.m. ET at Redbird Arena. The Beacons should still be riding high after a win, while the Redbirds will be looking to right the ship.
Illinois State was within striking distance but couldn't close the gap on Saturday as they fell 75-69 to the Southern Illinois Salukis. Guard Mark Freeman had a pretty forgettable game, finishing with only nine points on 3-for-11 shooting and turning the ball over six times in his 27 minutes on the court.
Meanwhile, Valpo beat the Indiana State Sycamores 79-72 on Saturday. Valpo got double-digit scores from four players: guard Kobe King (24), guard Kevion Taylor (20), guard Sheldon Edwards (14), and forward Ben Krikke (12). Taylor hadn't helped his team much against SIU last week, so this was a nice turnaround for him.
The Redbirds are the favorite in this one, with an expected 4-point margin of victory. Those playing the odds have seen things go back and forth with Illinois State, who are 11-10-1 against the spread.
Illinois State's loss took them down to 10-14 while Valparaiso's victory pulled them up to 11-12. Kobe King will be someone to keep an eye on after he posted a double-double on 24 points and 11 rebounds along with three blocks on Saturday. Let's see if he can build on that strong performance or if Illinois State's defense can bottle him up.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Redbird Arena -- Normal, Illinois
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $21.60
The Redbirds are a 4-point favorite against the Beacons, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 4-point spread, and stayed right there.
Valparaiso have won eight out of their last nine games against Illinois State.
- Jan 02, 2022 - Valparaiso 81 vs. Illinois State 76
- Jan 24, 2021 - Valparaiso 70 vs. Illinois State 66
- Jan 23, 2021 - Valparaiso 69 vs. Illinois State 60
- Feb 15, 2020 - Valparaiso 65 vs. Illinois State 62
- Feb 01, 2020 - Valparaiso 80 vs. Illinois State 70
- Feb 05, 2019 - Valparaiso 69 vs. Illinois State 53
- Jan 02, 2019 - Valparaiso 58 vs. Illinois State 56
- Feb 11, 2018 - Valparaiso 74 vs. Illinois State 58
- Jan 27, 2018 - Illinois State 76 vs. Valparaiso 65
Injury Report for Illinois State
- Howard Fleming Jr.: Game-Time Decision (Hip)
- Sy Chatman: Out for the Season (Knee)
Injury Report for Valparaiso
- Thomas Kithier: Game-Time Decision (Back)
- Emil Freese-Vilien: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Keyondre Young: Game-Time Decision (Hand)
- Trevor Anderson: Out for the Season (Back)