Through 3 Quarters
The Charlotte Hornets were the heavy favorites here for a reason. After three quarters it's looking more and more like their high-powered offense is just too much for the Detroit Pistons as Charlotte lead 103-75.
The Hornets have enjoyed the tag-team combination of small forward Gordon Hayward and power forward Miles Bridges. The former has 19 points and four assists along with six rebounds, while the latter has 19 points. Power forward Trey Lyles (17 points) and shooting guard Cade Cunningham (16 points) have been the top scorers for Detroit. Cade Cunningham does need to be careful, however, as he is in foul trouble with four.
Charlotte's lead is the biggest they have had this year going into the fourth quarter.
Detroit @ Charlotte
Current Records: Detroit 7-28; Charlotte 19-19
What to Know
The Charlotte Hornets are 16-5 against the Detroit Pistons since December of 2015, and they'll have a chance to extend that success Wednesday. The Hornets will look to defend their home court against Detroit at 7 p.m. ET. The Pistons will be strutting in after a win while Charlotte will be stumbling in from a defeat.
It was close but no cigar for Charlotte as they fell 124-121 to the Washington Wizards on Monday. Despite the loss, Charlotte had strong showings from power forward Miles Bridges, who dropped a double-double on 23 points and 14 rebounds, and small forward Gordon Hayward, who had 27 points along with eight boards.
Meanwhile, Detroit bagged a 115-106 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks on Monday. Detroit's small forward Saddiq Bey looked sharp as he shot 8-for-13 from beyond the arc and finished with 34 points and eight rebounds.
The Hornets are the favorite in this one, with an expected 10.5-point margin of victory. Now might not be the best time to take Charlotte against the spread since they've let down bettors for the past two consecutive games.
Charlotte's loss took them down to 19-19 while Detroit's victory pulled them up to 7-28. Allowing an average of 116.74 points per game, Charlotte hasn't exactly asserted themselves on the defensive end. We'll see if they can patch up the holes in their defense before their upcoming matchup.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Spectrum Center -- Charlotte, North Carolina
- TV: Bally Sports SE Charlotte
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $7.00
The Hornets are a big 10.5-point favorite against the Pistons, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Hornets as a 9.5-point favorite.
Charlotte have won 16 out of their last 21 games against Detroit.
- May 04, 2021 - Charlotte 102 vs. Detroit 99
- May 01, 2021 - Charlotte 107 vs. Detroit 94
- Mar 11, 2021 - Charlotte 105 vs. Detroit 102
- Feb 10, 2020 - Charlotte 87 vs. Detroit 76
- Nov 29, 2019 - Charlotte 110 vs. Detroit 107
- Nov 27, 2019 - Charlotte 102 vs. Detroit 101
- Nov 15, 2019 - Charlotte 109 vs. Detroit 106
- Apr 07, 2019 - Charlotte 104 vs. Detroit 91
- Dec 21, 2018 - Charlotte 98 vs. Detroit 86
- Dec 12, 2018 - Charlotte 108 vs. Detroit 107
- Nov 11, 2018 - Charlotte 113 vs. Detroit 103
- Feb 25, 2018 - Charlotte 114 vs. Detroit 98
- Jan 15, 2018 - Charlotte 118 vs. Detroit 107
- Oct 18, 2017 - Detroit 102 vs. Charlotte 90
- Feb 23, 2017 - Detroit 114 vs. Charlotte 108
- Jan 05, 2017 - Detroit 115 vs. Charlotte 114
- Dec 07, 2016 - Charlotte 87 vs. Detroit 77
- Nov 29, 2016 - Detroit 112 vs. Charlotte 89
- Mar 25, 2016 - Detroit 112 vs. Charlotte 105
- Mar 11, 2016 - Charlotte 118 vs. Detroit 103
- Dec 07, 2015 - Charlotte 104 vs. Detroit 84
Injury Report for Charlotte
- Vernon Carey Jr.: Out (Covid-19)
Injury Report for Detroit
- Cory Joseph: Out (Covid-19)
- Frank Jackson: Out (Ankle)
- Isaiah Livers: Out (Foot)
- Isaiah Stewart: Out (Covid-19)
- Kelly Olynyk: Out (Knee)
- Chris Smith: Out (Knee)
- Jerami Grant: Out (Thumb)