One year after losing to Becky Lynch in less than 30 seconds at SummerSlam, Bianca Belair will have a chance to finally get her revenge. After Belair successfully defended her Raw women's championship against Carmella on Raw on Monday night, it was made official that Lynch would get a shot at the title at SummerSlam on July 30.
Belair won the title from Lynch at WrestleMania earlier in the year, but SummerSlam marks the anniversary of Lynch making a surprise return and beating Belair in one of the quickest matches in WWE history.
Also on Monday night, Logan Paul made his return to Raw, appearing on Miz TV and goading The Miz into accepting a one-on-one match at SummerSlam.
CBS Sports was with you all night with recaps and highlights of all the action from Amalie Arena in Tampa.
Belair defeats Carmella, will face Lynch at SummerSlam
Becky Lynch opened the show with an in-ring promo, again running down her issues with not having received another shot at Bianca Belair and the Raw women's championship. She then announced that the winner of the title match between Belair and Carmella would have to face her at SummerSlam. Belair interrupted and told Lynch that this is not "the Becky Lynch comeback story" but is instead her own comeback from the previous year's SummerSlam where Lynch defeated her in less than 30 seconds. After Carmella inserted herself into the situation, both Carmella and Lynch attacked Belair before Lynch laid out the champion with a Manhandle Slam.
Raw Women's Championship – Bianca Belair (c) def. Carmella via pinfall after hitting the Kiss of Death. The match began immediately after the attack and with a stipulation that Carmella could win the title by count-out. Despite Carmella's repeated attempts to win via the referee's count, it was Belair who pulled off the win. Lynch grabbed the title and posed with it in the ring before throwing it down at Belair's feet.
Belair certainly deserves to beat Lynch at SummerSlam as some sort of final make-good on last year. Even having a WrestleMania win over Lynch hasn't erased the stink of WWE's decision in summer 2021. That said, WWE constantly falling back to the same matches for its biggest events isn't exactly thrilling. Carmella deserves some credit for using her brief rivalry with Belair to show that she has really come a long way as an in-ring worker as both of the matches on Raw and the match at Money in the Bank were worlds better than she'd shown in the past. Carmella's advancement aside, it's still hard to get too excited for more of Belair vs. Lynch. Grade: C+
What else happened on WWE Raw?
- Seth Rollins attacked Riddle after Riddle was the guest on Kevin Owens' "KO Show." Owens pitched teaming with Riddle, which Riddle shot down before Rollins' music hit and he attacked Riddle from behind, hitting multiple stomps.
- Damian Priest def. Rey Mysterio via pinfall with a Razor's Edge. Before the match The Judgement Day said Dominik Mysterio would join their group before the end of the night. They threatened Rey with a con-chair-to after the match, at which point Dominik agreed to join to save his father, but Finn Balor and Priest said it "doesn't work that way" and hit Dominik with a chair.
- Seth Rollins def. Ezekiel via pinfall after hitting a stomp.
- Angelo Dawkins def. Omos via disqualification when MVP tripped Dawkins from outside the ring. Adam Pearce then restarted the match as a tag match with The Street Profits vs. Omos and MVP.
- The Street Profits def. Omos & MVP via disqualification after interference by The Usos. After the match, The Usos helped Omos hit both Profits with chokeslams.
- AJ Styles def. Theory via count-out after Dolph Ziggler attacked Theory outside the ring.
- Asuka, Dana Brooke & Alexa Bliss def. Nikki A.S.H., Tamina & Doudrop via submission when Asuka put Nikki A.S.H. in the Asuka Lock.
- The Miz accepted Logan Paul's challenge for a match at SummerSlam. Miz initially declined, but Paul accused Miz of having "tiny balls," at which point Miz accepted and attempted to attack Paul. Paul was able to dump Miz from the ring before being attacked from behind by Ciampa. Paul was able to escape before Miz and Ciampa could double-team him.