On Monday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that sporting events could return in the state "in the first week or so of June." Newsom added that sports would have to be played without fans for the time being.
"Sporting events, pro sports, in that first week or so of June without spectators and modifications and very prescriptive conditions also can begin to move forward," Newsom said.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom says the state could see pro sports return by the first week of June without fans. pic.twitter.com/j4PPg56Yn7— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) May 18, 2020
Newsom believes that current numbers show that it could be safe to return sports in early June. This comes after Newsom said in April that he didn't believe that football games could be played in front of crowds this fall.
Earlier on Monday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that he'd like professional teams to begin planning to play in New York.
Last week, MLB owners agreed on terms for a potential return. The proposal outlines an 82-game schedule beginning in early July with 30-player active rosters, 14 playoff teams and a 50-50 revenue split for players and owners.
The players union has yet to agree to the proposal, and multiple players have said they are not on board with the new revenue split plan. Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer called the proposal "laughable." Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Blake Snell was among the most outspoken regarding the proposal. He revealed that he would sit out the 2020 season if the league were to return.
The NBA and NHL are still deciding if they want to finish their 2019-20 seasons, both of which have been paused since mid-March. The NFL held its league draft in a virtual manner last month and recently released its schedule for the 2020 season. It's unclear if the NFL will be able to begin the campaign on time this fall, however.