For the second time this month, the best two words in sports is happening: Sports Equinox. Sports fans will get a treat on Halloween as the the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL will all be in action on Monday, Oct. 31.
A Sports Equinox occurs when the four major leagues play on the same day. These special days tend to happen October or November, which is around the time NBA and NHL start, NFL is in midseason form, and MLB is wrapping up. It is not a very common occurrence, as Monday will mark just the 28th Sports Equinox ever. The 27th occurrence didn't happen too long ago. Last week, on Oct. 20, five leagues participated -- NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL.
On Monday, the Philadelphia Phillies will be hosting the Houston Astros for Game 3 of the 2022 World Series. There will be seven NBA games and three NHL games. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Browns are hosting the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday Night Football.
Here is the full list of Monday's games:
- Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns, 8:15 p.m. ET
- Philadelphia 76ers at Washington Wizards, 7 p.m. ET
- Sacramento Kings at Charlotte Hornets, 7 p.m. ET
- Atlanta Hawks at Toronto Raptors, 7:30 p.m. ET
- Indiana Pacers at Brooklyn Nets, 7:30 p.m. ET
- Detroit Pistons at Milwaukee Bucks, 8 p.m. ET
- Memphis Grizzlies at Utah Jaxx, 9 p.m. ET
- Houston Rockets at LA Clippers, 10:30 p.m. ET
- Houston Astros at Philadelphia Phillies -- Game 3 of the 2022 World Series, 8:00 p.m. ET
- Washington Capitals at Carolina Hurricanes, 7 p.m. ET
- Detroit Red Wings at Buffalo Sabres, 7 p.m. ET
- LA Kings at St. Louis Blues, 8 p.m. ET
Fun Sports Equinox facts
- The first ever Sports Equinox was recorded on Oct. 17, 1971 with 12 NFL games, three NBA games, six NHL games and one MLB game.
- The city of Los Angeles hosted five major professional U.S. sports leagues – NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL – on Oct. 28, 2018. LA teams went 3-2 that day. It was referred to as a Super Sports Equinox.
- After the COVID-19 pandemic temporarily suspended sports, fans were treated to a busy day on Sept. 10, 2020 that included the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, MLS, Tennis and NHL.
- There was a 16-year period from 1985 - 2001 without a single Sports Equinox. They have been happening more often in part because of the NFL's Thursday Night Football, which officially debuted in 2006.