Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been released on bail following his arrest on suspicion of rape, assault and threatening to kill a young woman.
The 20-year-old was initially arrested on Sunday after images, video and audio files were posted online. He was further arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of threats to kill and sexual assault.
Greater Manchester Police, who have not named Greenwood, said: "A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday Jan. 30, 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation."
Greenwood had been arrested after the police force "became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence." The images and videos were posted on the woman's Instagram on Sunday. They were subsequently deleted.
Greenwood was suspended by Manchester United on Sunday with the club issuing a further statement on Tuesday. In it, a spokesman for the club said: "Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice."
Sponsors and brands have also cut their ties with the England international, who is considered one of the top young players in the sport. Nike have suspended their relationship with Greenwood, who has also been removed from active squads in the "FIFA 22" video game. EA Sports also announced that the player would not be available in packs or the draft in its popular Ultimate Team mode.
Manchester United merchandise bearing Greenwood's name is no longer available at the club store. The club's shirt sponsors TeamViewer are "closely monitoring developments" while Cadbury, another partner of the Premier League side, have confirmed that any advertisements involving the player have been removed.
"Cadbury does not condone violence in any form," they said. "Our partnership is with the cub itself and not the individual players. However, while these allegations are being investigated, any marketing or products we create with Manchester United will not feature this player. We will continue to monitor the situation closely."