2018 MLB Draft order: First round, supplemental, competitive balance picks and how to watch, live stream
The Detroit Tigers hold the No. 1 selection for the first time in franchise history
On Monday, the 2018 First-Year Player Draft will begin with a live broadcast from the MLB Network studios in Secaucus, NJ. The annual amateur draft covers three days and 40 rounds.. And here's how to watch:
What: Round 1 and Competitive Balance Round A (note: Round 2 and Competitive Balance Round B will be streamed on MLB.com)
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: MLB Network
As a reminder, the draft order is the reverse order of the previous year's regular season standings. MLB does not have a draft lottery, nor can postseason results change the draft order. Teams can gain and lose draft picks via free agent compensation, however. Here are the teams that forfeited picks this year:
- Brewers: Forfeited third round pick to sign Lorenzo Cain.
- Cardinals: Forfeited second round pick to sign Greg Holland.
- Orioles: Forfeited second round pick to sign Alex Cobb.
- Padres: Forfeited second round pick to sign Eric Hosmer.
- Phillies: Forfeited second and third round picks to sign Carlos Santana and Jake Arrieta.
- Rockies: Forfeited second round pick to sign Wade Davis.
- Twins: Forfeited third round pick to sign Lance Lynn.
Free agent compensation rules have changed with the current collective bargaining agreement. Compensation picks are now tied to market and contract size. Furthermore, MLB hands out 14 Competitive Balance Lottery draft picks to small market teams each year. Those picks can be traded..
So, with all that mind and the draft right around the corner, here is the 2018 MLB Draft order. Aside from potential last minute Competitive Balance Lottery pick trades, these selections are locked in.
1. Tigers (Slot value: $8,096,300)
2. Giants (Slot value: $7,494,600)
3. Phillies (Slot value: $6,947,500
4. White Sox (Slot value: $6,411,400)
5. Reds (Slot value: $5,946,400)
6. Mets (Slot value: $5,525,200)
7. Padres (Slot value: $5,226,500)
8. Braves (Slot value: $4,980,700)
9. Athletics (Slot value: $4,761,500)
10. Pirates (Slot value: $4,560,200)
11. Orioles (Slot value: $4,375,100)
12. Blue Jays (Slot value: $4,200,900)
13. Marlins (Slot value: $4,038,200)
14. Mariners (Slot value: $3,883,800)
15. Rangers (Slot value: $3,738,500)
16. Rays (Slot value: $3,603,500)
17. Angels (Slot value: $3,472,900)
18. Royals (Slot value: $3,349,300)
19. Cardinals (Slot value: $3,231,700)
20. Twins (Slot value: $3,120,000)
21. Brewers (Slot value: $3,013,600)
22. Rockies (Slot value: $2,912,300)
23. Yankees (Slot value: $2,815,900)
24. Cubs (Slot value: $2,724,000)
25. Diamondbacks (Slot value: $2,636,400)
26. Red Sox (Slot value: $2,552,800)
27. Nationals (Slot value: $2,472,700)
28. Astros (Slot value: $2,339,400)
29. Indians (Slot value: $2,332,700)
30. Dodgers (Slot value: $2,275,800)
Supplemental First Round
31. Rays (compensation for losing Alex Cobb)
32. Rays (compensation for failing to sign 2017 draft pick Drew Rasmussen)
33. Royals (compensation for losing Lorenzo Cain)
34. Royals (compensation for losing Eric Hosmer)
35. Indians (compensation for losing Carlos Santana)
Competitive Balance Round A
46. White Sox
64. Red Sox
Competitive Balance Round B
74. Padres (from Twins in Phil Hughes trade)
Supplemental Second Round
75. Cardinals (compensation for losing Lance Lynn)
76. Rockies (compensation for losing Greg Holland)
77. Cubs (compensation for losing Wade Davis)
78. Cubs (compensation for losing Jake Arrieta)
81. White Sox
88. Blue Jays
100. Red Sox
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Here is everything you need to know about the day in baseball
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Saturday's Cardinals vs. Braves matchup 10,000...
Blame the ball, blame the launch angle revolution. Whatever it is, home runs are being hit...
Keuchel and Kimbrel will no longer be attached to draft pick compensation in nine days
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Saturday's Yankees vs. Royals matinee 10,000...
SportsLine's Mike McClure, a DFS pro with nearly $2M in winnings, gives optimal lineup adv...