MLB: Minnesota Twins at Texas Rangers
USATSI

Twins slugger Miguel Sano has been accused of kidnapping in his native Dominican Republic, but the 27-year-old says he's being blackmailed, per the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

A newspaper in the Domincan Republic reported Tuesday that a lawyer had accused Sano and three of his friends of kidnapping a man in San Pedro de Macoris six weeks ago. The lawyer said his client, Raudy Omar Sanchez de la Cruz, was beaten and threatened to be hanged by the group on May 6. 

Sano reportedly said that Sanchez de la Cruz was involved in a sexual assault of his younger stepbrother and that the lawyer said he would drop the case if he was paid 10 million pesos (about $170,000). 

More, from the Star Tribune

No charges have been filed in the case; El Nuevo Diario said Sano and his friends had been summoned to the San Pedro prosecutor's office Tuesday but did not go. Ramos said a hearing was postponed until June 25.

"They are looking for money," Sano told El Nuevo Diario sports editor William Aish. Sano said he didn't go to the prosecutor's office because the request came too late for him to act, adding he would sue Ramos for $500,000.

The Twins have said they are aware of the situation and are gathering information. 

Sano is set to begin a three-year, $30 million deal this season. He hit .247/.346/.576 with 34 homers in 105 games last season.