Alabama safety Brian Branch is one of the top prospects, regardless of position, as we look ahead to the 2023 NFL Draft. A former four-star recruit out of Sandy Creek High School in Georgia, Branch evolved into one of the most important defenders for Nick Saban and Alabama. He got better every season, culminating in a 90-tackle, 14-tackle for loss, seven-pass breakup 2022 campaign, which earned him multiple All-American honors.
Below is a comprehensive draft profile for Branch, including his scouting report, prospect ranking, pro comparison, combine results, college and high school accolades and overall NFL outlook.
Note: This profile will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Age: 21
- Hometown: Fayetteville, Georgia
- Interesting fact: Just four missed tackles over the past three seasons, per PFF
Position: No. 1 S | Overall: No. 17 | Rating: 89.57 (Long-term starter)
Expected draft position (via Grinding the Mocks): 23.3 (S1)
To check out all of CBSSports.com's most recent mock drafts, click here.
Pick Six Newsletter
Crafted By The Best NFL Experts
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
NFL combine measurements/results
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 190 lbs | Arms: 30 3/4" | Hands: 9 1/2"
- 40-yard dash: 4.58 seconds
- Broad jump: 10 feet, 5 inches
- Vertical jump: 34.5 inches
- Bench press: 14 reps
Brian Branch is a versatile, intelligent player who has been asked to do a lot for Nick Saban's team. He has fulfilled a leadership role with flying colors. Branch is effective as a spot pass-rusher and playing down hill to fit the run. One has to nitpick to find many flaws in his game, but Branch could add a bit more mass to his frame. He had just a 3.2% missed tackle rate in 2022.
- Versatilility allows him to play safety, nickel and boundary in a pinch
- High football IQ
- Fluid hips to transition across the field
- Effective on blitzes
- Does a good job getting off blocks
- Average in man coverage
- Played a flexible role at Alabama, will a team get good return value in a more refined role?
- Would like to see him add a bit more mass to his frame
- 2022: First-team All-American (CBS Sports, ESPN)
- 2022: Second-team All-American (Associated Press)
- 2022: Second-team All-ACC (Associated Press)
- 2022: Only SEC player with 90+ tackles, 2+ interceptions and 2+ sacks
High school: Sandy Creek (Tyrone, Georgia)
Composite Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (0.9709)
- National: 61 | S: 3 | Georgia: 8
High school accolades: 2020 Georgia 5A Ironman of the Year (top two-way player), 2019 "Super 12" squad (Fayette News), 2018 All-County Defensive Player of the Year, All-American Bowl selection, left as school's career interceptions leader