Four of the world's top-10 teams are meeting for the Arnold Clark Cup this month as England, Canada, Germany, and Spain compete in the inaugural women's soccer competition. The event will kicked off Thursday, and all four teams will go head-to-head in a round-robin style tournament.
The Arnold Clark Cup is hosted by England's women's national team, and will serve as added preparation during the 2022 calendar ahead of the FIFA 2023 women's World Cup. You can catch all six matches live and on demand on Paramount+.
Arnold Clark Cup schedule, scores
All times eastern
Thursday, Feb. 17
- Germany 1, Spain 1
- England vs. Canada, 1:20 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 20
- England vs. Spain, 10:15 a.m.
- Canada vs. Germany, 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 23
- England vs Germany, 9:30 a.m.
- Spain vs Canada, 2:30 p.m.
Players to watch
Former Netherland's coach Sarina Wiegman will want to get an array of looks at the squad over their three matches, but any time a healthy Fran Kirby gets involved with the Lionesses, it's an opportunity for her to shine on an international stage. Watch the Chelsea midfielder spearhead attacks, hopefully alongside Lauren Hemp.
Ashley Lawerence is listed an a midfielder for this event, but has dominated at the outside back position. She has fantastic technical skill, along with strong ball control that allows her to dominate possession on the pitch. While others typical press high to get involved more directly in attack, Lawrence's ability to read the game allows her to utilize space positionally. Head coach Bev Preistman and her side enter the tournament as Olympic gold medalists. As the only Concacaf side in the event, it's another chance for International audiences to see why Lawrence is currently among the best players in the world.
The team enters the tournament missing some key players in Alex Popp, Sydney Lohmann, Dzsenifer Marozsan and Melanie Leupolz. Several players were called in and out ahead of the tournament, but despite the inconsistency in the roster, the No. 3 ranked team in the world can still beat anyone in the competition. Watch Lea Schuller, who is always a threat in the attack, while Lena Oberdorf will help navigate the middle third.
The team currently has the best player in the world with Ballon D'or winner Alexia Putellas. Her ability to both connect with teammates and create her own shot makes her a threat anywhere on the pitch. Head coach Jorge Vilda has a roster that features 10 FC Barcelona players, including Putellas, and we will likely see team chemistry on the pitch.
- Goalkeepers: Mary Earps, Hannah Hampton, Ellie Roebuck
- Defenders: Millie Bright, Lucy Bronze, Jess Carter, Niamh Charles, Rachel Daly, Alex Greenwood, Demi Stokes, Leah Williamson, Lotte Wubben-Moy
- Midfielders: Fran Kirby, Jordan Nobbs, Jill Scott, Georgia Stanway, Keira Walsh, Katie Zelem
- Forwards: Lauren Hemp, Beth Mead, Nikita Parris, Alessia Russo, Ella Toone, Ellen White
- Goalkeepers: Sabrina D'Angelo, Devon Kerr, Erin McLeod, Kailen Sheridan
- Defenders: Kadeisha Buchanan, Vanessa Gilles, Shelina Zadorsky, Gabrielle Carle, Allysha Chapman, Jayde Riviere, Sura Yekka
- Midfielders: Marie-Yasmine Alidou D'Anjou, Jessie Fleming, Julia Grosso, Ashley Lawrence, Victoria Pickett, Quinn, Sophie Schmidt, Desiree Scott
- Forwards: Janine Beckie, Tanya Boychuk, Jordyn Huitema, Cloe Lacasse, Nichelle Prince, Deanne Rose
- Goalkeepers: Sandra Panos, Lola Gallardo, Misa Rodriguez
- Defenders: Mapi Leon, Leila Ouahabi, Andrea Pereira, Ivana Andres, Ona Batlle, Laia Aleixandri, Olga Carmona
- Midfielders: Alexia Putellas, Patri Guijarro, Aitana Bonmati, Irene Guerrero, Claudia Pina
- Forwards: Jennifer Hermoso, Mariona Caldentey, Lucia Garcia, Esther Gonzalez, Marta Cardona, Nerea Eizagirre, Amaiur Sarriegi, Sheila Garcia
- Goalkeepers: Ann-Katrin Berger, Merle Frohms, Martina Tufekovic
- Defenders: Sara Doorsoun, Jana Feldkamp, Giulia Gwinn, Sophia Kleinherne, Lena Oberdorf, Maximiliane Rall, Felicitas Rauch, Leonie Maier, Sarai Linder
- Midfielders: Nicole Anyone, Jule Brand, Klara Buhl, Selina Cerci, Sara Dabritz, Linda Dallmann, Fabienne Dongus, Laura Freigang, Lina Magull, Ramona Petzelberger, Chantal Hagel
- Forwards: Lea Schuller, Hasret Kayikci