Manchester United's Mason Greenwood was suspended by the club Sunday after allegations of assault surfaced against the 20-year-old. Greenwood was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of rape and assault, according to ESPN.
The club says it is investigating allegations.
"Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice," the club said in a statement, according to the Manchester Evening News.
The Greater Manchester Police released a statement about the incident, announcing an arrest had been made. They did not specifically say it was Greenwood.
"Greater Manchester Police were made aware earlier today of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence," the statement read. "An investigation was launched and following [inquiries] we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning."
"The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday (January 30) afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence. He continues to be questioned after magistrates authorised an extension until tomorrow (Wednesday 2 February).
"Following enquiries so far, he has since been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill. Enquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to be offered specialist support."
Manchester United also released another statement condemning violence of any kind and that Greenwood, who has appeared in 18 of Man United's 22 Premier League matches this season, would not play until further notice.
Greenwood has also been removed from FIFA 22 and stripped of his Nike sponsorship.