UFC is set for its PPV debut in Utah. The Beehive State plays host to UFC 278 on Saturday with a championship main event in tow. Welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king Kamaru Usman looks to extend his astounding winning streak when he takes on top contender Leon Edwards from inside the Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City.
Usman and Edwards both bring lengthy winning streaks to their clash. Usman has won 19 straight bouts, including five successful title defenses since capturing the belt in March 2019. Edwards is on a nine-fight winning streak. His most recent loss came against Usman when the two fought in December 2015.
In the co-main event, former featherweight champion Jose Aldo will clash with Merab Dvalishvili in bantamweight action. Since losing his first two UFC bouts, Dvalishvili has won seven consecutive bouts. After a three-fight losing skid, Aldo has rebounded with three straight wins and is looking to beat Dvalishvili to once again establish himself as a title contender.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including an early preview of UFC 278 below.
Plus, a highly anticipated bout at middleweight is set for the PPV card when former champion Luke Rockhold makes his return to 185 pounds to take on former title challenger Paulo Costa. Rockhold has not returned to the Octagon since a one-fight sojourn to light heavyweight in 2019 where he was thunderously knocked out by Jan Blachowicz. Rockhold has only fought four times since 2016, including the stunning TKO loss to Michael Bisping to drop the 185-pound title. Costa, meanwhile, started his career a perfect 13-0 but has lost two in a row since 2020, including a TKO loss to Israel Adesanya for the title.
That and much more are on deck for Aug. 20 in Salt Lake City. Be sure to stay locked to this page for the latest news and updates to the fight card.
UFC 278 fight card, odds
Odds via Caesars Sportsbook
- Kamaru Usman (c) -380 vs. Leon Edwards +300, welterweight championship
- Paulo Costa -330 vs. Luke Rockhold +260, middleweights
- Merab Dvalishvili -125 vs. Jose Aldo +105, bantamweights
- Lucie Pudilova -150 vs. Wu Yanan +125, women's bantamweights
- Tyson Pedro -800 vs. Harry Hunsucker +550, light heavyweights
- Alexander Romanov -450 vs. Marcin Tybura +350, heavyweights
- Jared Gordon -300 vs. Leonardo Santos +240, lightweights
- Sean Woodson -340 vs. Luis Saldana +270, featherweights
- Miranda Maverick -550 vs. Shanna Young +400, women's flyweights
- A.J. Fletcher -160 vs. Ange Loosa +135, welterweights
- Amir Albazi -410 vs. Francisco Figueiredo +320, flyweights
- Aori Qileng -165 vs. Jay Perrin +140, bantamweights
- Victor Altamirano -190 vs. Daniel Lacerda +160, flyweights
UFC 278 info
- Date: Aug. 20
- Location: Vivant Arena -- Salt Lake City
- Start time: 10 p.m. ET (Main card)
- How to watch: ESPN+ PPV
UFC 278 countdown
- against Rockhold
- Campbell: on the main card
- Edwards: , perfect time to fight him
Who wins UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2? And which fighter is a must-back? Visit SportsLine now to get detailed top picks on UFC 278, all from the insider who's up more than $10,000 on MMA picks the past two years, and find out.