USA Today Images

Derek Carr did not return to return to Thursday night's overtime loss against the Chargers after the Raiders' quarterback sustained a groin injury during the first quarter. Carr, who was initially ruled as questionable before being declared out at the start of the second half, sustained the injury while trying to run for a first down on the final play of the Raiders' second offensive possession. 

Carr, who has not missed a game since the 2017 season, was seen walking with trainers shortly after Daniel Carlson's 23-yard field goal cut the Raiders' deficit to 7-3. 

Carr was replaced by Marcus Mariota, who scored two touchdowns while leading the Raiders on four scoring drives. Mariota, who had not played this season since signing with Las Vegas during the offseason, threw for 226 yards that included his 35-yard touchdown pass to Darren Waller, who caught nine passes for 150 yards. Mariota, who rushed for 88 yards (his highest total since Week 13 of the 2015 season, scored on a two-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter helped force overtime. 

Despite Mariota's success under center, the Raiders' inability to score a touchdown in overtime led to Justin Herbert's game-winning touchdown run. Los Angeles, after a 6-3 start, are now 7-7 and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for a fourth straight year. 

"To be truthful, it's been a long journey," Mariota said after the game. "I've been through kind of everything. From injuries, to surgeries …  the confidence thing. I just truly appreciate the Raiders and the entire organization for kind of helping me through that. I was trying to find my way again, and they were patient with me. I am appreciative that they will willing to do that. 

"It's kind of being an athlete. You're going to go through some ups and downs. I think the staff did a great job of kind of keeping me level-headed and fighting through it. When it comes down it, it's still ball. I just loved being out there again. It was fun to play. Unfortunately, we just didn't make enough plays."