Khabib Nurmagomedov is once again the most dominant lightweight in the world. "The Eagle" dismantled Justin Gaethje with a second-round submission in the main event of UFC 254 to retain his title and unify with Gaethje's interim belt.
Nurmagomedov (29-0) stood toe-to-toe with arguably the most dangerous striker in the division for the entire first round before taking him down in the second and securing the arm triangle choke. After the fight, Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from the sport as he does not want to compete without his father, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, by his side any longer.
In the co-main event, Robert Whittaker showed he's still a problem at 185 pounds with a strong victory over Jared Cannonier. The win is likely to elevate Whittaker into a rematch with champion Israel Adesanya, who won the belt from Whittaker by TKO in 2019.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including instant analysis of UFC 254 below.
Plus, Alexander Volkov utilized a devastating front body kick to halt Walt Harris in his tracks and score a vicious second-round knockout. The Russian is now 3-2 since 2018 with alternating wins and losses over the last three years. Harris, meanwhile, has now lost two straight bouts in 2020 after a four-fight unbeaten streak.
It was a busy week from Fight Island for the promotion. CBS Sports had you covered with the latest news, odds and viewing information for UFC 254 in this post as it will be constantly updated throughout the week. Check out how it all went down below.
UFC 254 fight card results
- Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) def. Justin Gaethje second-round submission (triangle choke)
- Robert Whittaker def. Jared Cannonier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alexander Volkov def. Walt Harris via second-round TKO (kick, punches)
- Phillip Hawes def. Jacob Malkoun via first-round TKO (punches)
- Lauren Murphy def. Liliya Shakirova via second-round submission (rear-naked choke)
- Magomed Ankalaev def. Ion Cutelaba via first-round TKO (punches)
- Tai Tuivasa def. Stefan Struve via first-round TKO (punches)
- Casey Kenney def. Nathaniel Wood via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Shavkat Rakhmonov def. Alex Oliveira via first-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Da-Un Jung vs. Sam Alvey fight to split draw (29-28, 28-29, 28-28)
- Miranda Maverick def. Liana Jojua via first-round TKO (doctor stoppage)
- Joel Alvarez def. Alexander Yakovlev via first-round submission (armbar)
UFC 254 countdown, recations
- Campbell: Khabib leaves the sport honoring his father's wishes -- perfect
- Brookhouse: Khabib enters discussion of Greatest of All Time
- Top UFC fighters pay their respects to Khabib's decision to retire on top
- McGregor offers 'respect and condolences' to Khabib after retirement
- Complete staff predictions and expert picks
- Brookhouse: Breaking down every fight on the main card
- Campbell: Gaethje's transformation to champion nearly complete
- Gaethje aims to "ruin the day" of Khabib, White, others in main event