Dodgers' Enrique Hernandez becomes 10th to hit three homers in MLB playoff game
Hernandez also set a new LCS record with 7 RBI
Hernandez, a versatile utility man who played seven positions in 2017, smacked three home runs in Game 5 win. He hit a solo home run off Jose Quintana in the first inning, a grand slam off Hector Rondon in the third inning, and a two-run home run against Mike Montgomery in the ninth inning.
Here's video of Hernandez's three homers:
Hernandez went 3 for 4 with 7 RBI in Game 5. The 7 RBI are a new LCS record. He is also the 10th player to hit three home runs in a single postseason game, and the second to do it this postseason. Here's the list:
- Enrique Hernandez, Dodgers: 2017 NLCS Game 5 (series-clinching game)
- Jose Altuve, Astros: 2017 ALDS Game 1
- Pablo Sandoval, Giants: 2012 World Series Game 1
- Albert Pujols, Cardinals: 2011 World Series Game 3
- Adrian Beltre, Rangers: 2011 ALDS Game 4 (series-clinching game)
- Adam Kennedy, Angels: 2002 ALCS Game 5 (series-clinching game)
- George Brett, Royals: 1978 ALCS Game 3
- Reggie Jackson, Yankees: 1977 World Series Game 6 (series-clinching game)
- Bob Robertson, Pirates: 1971 NLCS Game 2
- Babe Ruth, Yankees: 1928 World Series Game 4 (series-clinching game)
- Babe Ruth, Yankees: 1926 World Series Game 4
It is worth noting Hernandez's historic three-homer postseason game comes after a very difficult year, personally. Last year his father battled cancer and his grandfather died, and this year his native Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
Having a historic game in the postseason is one thing. Being able to do with your father in the stands makes it that much more special.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
The Yankees further bolstered their bullpen with Adam Ottavino on Thursday
It will be Tebow's second big league camp
The Yankees committed about $50 million to their bullpen in 2018, and that number could go...
Here's what's buzzing around MLB for Thursday
The Yankees' have reportedly bolstered an already impressive bullpen
Here's how you can keep tabs on the top 50 free agents on the market