Hernandez, a versatile utility man who played seven positions in 2017, smacked three home runs in Game 5 win. He hit a solo home run off Jose Quintana in the first inning, a grand slam off Hector Rondon in the third inning, and a two-run home run against Mike Montgomery in the ninth inning.
Here's video of Hernandez's three homers:
Hernandez went 3 for 4 with 7 RBI in Game 5. The 7 RBI are a new LCS record. He is also the 10th player to hit three home runs in a single postseason game, and the second to do it this postseason. Here's the list:
- Enrique Hernandez, Dodgers: 2017 NLCS Game 5 (series-clinching game)
- Jose Altuve, Astros: 2017 ALDS Game 1
- Pablo Sandoval, Giants: 2012 World Series Game 1
- Albert Pujols, Cardinals: 2011 World Series Game 3
- Adrian Beltre, Rangers: 2011 ALDS Game 4 (series-clinching game)
- Adam Kennedy, Angels: 2002 ALCS Game 5 (series-clinching game)
- George Brett, Royals: 1978 ALCS Game 3
- Reggie Jackson, Yankees: 1977 World Series Game 6 (series-clinching game)
- Bob Robertson, Pirates: 1971 NLCS Game 2
- Babe Ruth, Yankees: 1928 World Series Game 4 (series-clinching game)
- Babe Ruth, Yankees: 1926 World Series Game 4
It is worth noting Hernandez's historic three-homer postseason game comes after a very difficult year, personally. Last year his father battled cancer and his grandfather died, and this year his native Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
A year ago, Kike Hernandez stopped enjoying baseball. His father was battling cancer. He was struggling on the field...— Joe Davis (@Joe_Davis) October 20, 2017
This year, he lost his grandfather. Days later the hurricane slammed his home country of Puerto Rico.— Joe Davis (@Joe_Davis) October 20, 2017
His dad, cancer-free, is at Wrigley watching him have the night of his life. That smile on Kike's face is about a whole lot more than 2 HRs.— Joe Davis (@Joe_Davis) October 20, 2017
Having a historic game in the postseason is one thing. Being able to do with your father in the stands makes it that much more special.