2018 Silver Slugger awards: J.D. Martinez becomes first player to win two awards in one season
The award goes to the best hitter at each position in each league, as determined by MLB coaches and managers
On Thursday, Major League Baseball handed out the 2018 Silver Slugger awards. The award goes to the players deemed the best hitter at each position by MLB coaches and managers. (Note that the outfield is not broken down by left, center, and right designations.) Louisville Slugger is, naturally, the sponsor to the award.
This year's award featured an interesting wrinkle, as J.D. Martinez won two -- one for his work at DH, one for his less-appreciated work in the outfield (he played 57 games in the field). He is the first player to ever win two Silver Slugger awards in one season.
Here are rest of the 2018 Silver Slugger winners:
- Catcher: Salvador Perez, Royals
- First base: Jose Abreu, White Sox
- Second base: Jose Altuve, Astros
- Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Indians
- Third base: Jose Ramirez, Indians
- Outfield: Mike Trout, Angels; Mookie Betts, Red Sox; J.D. Martinez, Red Sox
- Designated hitter: Martinez
- Catcher: J.T. Realmuto, Marlins
- First base: Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks
- Second base: Javier Baez, Cubs
- Shortstop: Trevor Story, Rockies
- Third base: Nolan Arenado, Rockies
- Outfield: Nick Markakis Braves; David Peralta, Diamondbacks; Christian Yelich, Brewers
- Pitcher: German Marquez, Rockies
The other major MLB awards, including the Cy Young and MVP will be announced next week. .
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
There's a report from a Chicago radio host that the Cubs are in on Harper
Minor-league pitcher Trent Thornton goes to the Blue Jays in return
Owner John Middleton would 'prefer not to be completely stupid,' but expect the Phillies to...
Pearce, 36, will likely split time at first base again
Here's how you can keep tabs on the top 50 free agents on the market
'It ended up working out really well,' the All-Star outfielder told Bill Reiter on CBS Sports...