The Texans promoted Quessenberry from the practice squad Tuesday, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.
A sixth-round draft pick of the Texans in 2013, Quessenberry has yet to make his NFL debut, with a prolonged battle with cancer primarily responsible for disrupting his career. After being declared cancer-free earlier this year, Quessenberry was able to resume his career and looks like he'll now get his long-awaited opportunity to play for Houston over its final two games. He'll likely serve in a depth role at guard.
Quessenberry was waived Saturday, NFL.com reports.
Quessenberry, who fought back to football after battling cancer, is a pretty popular guy with the team and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him land on Houston's practice squad if he goes unclaimed.
Quessenberry (illness) has been cleared for training camp.
Quessenberry, who is now cancer-free, has been working to get his strength back and will now have an opportunity to earn a role on the Texans' offensive line in 2017.
Quessenberry (illness) returned to practice this week, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Quessenberry rejoined his teammates after a three-year battle with cancer. While he's still not in game shape, for good reason, the offensive lineman has been making progress. "We're in unchartered territory. But I feel great and it will be very soon where I can play," Quessenberry noted. "Look for more updates to come as training camp nears.
Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry, diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma one year ago Wednesday, predicted he will make a return to football.
“I will be back out there,” Quessenberry told the Texans' team site. “That will be a special day. I’ve been through a lot. That’s something that’s been a vision of mine throughout this whole process.”
Selected in the sixth round of the 2013 draft, Quessenberry has yet to log an NFL snap. He was placed on IR with a foot injury his rookie season and then received the cancer diagnosis last summer.
Quessenberry isn't cleared to resume football activities but he has been working out and lifting weights with his teammates. Texans coach Bill O'Brien said it's not out of the question that Quessenberry plays this season.
“I would say that this season is a possibility,” O’Brien said. “I would not rule it out. I would not rule it out, but we haven’t come to that determination yet.
Texans coach Bill O'Brien praised guard David Quessenberry and said that it was "a possibility" that Quessenberry could play for the team this year, per the Houston Chronicle.
Quessenberry battled lymphoma last season, and doctors said that the cancer was in remission in February.
Texans offensive tackle David Quessenberry, diagnosed with lymphoma last June, said he now in remission.
"I finished radiation two weeks ago," Quessenberry said, via Houston's ABC 13. "I'm officially in remission. I love saying that. I'm in remission and I'm starting into my maintenance phase."
Quessenberry missed the entire 2014 season as he underwent cancer treatment. It's unclear if Quessenberry will be able to participate in any offseason activities with the Texans. He's under contract through the 2016 season.
Quessenberry was taken in the sixth round of the 2013 draft by the Texans.
Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry was diagnosed with lymphoma, the team announced Tuesday.
Quessenberry "experienced fatigue and a persistent cough" over the past week, went for a diagnosis and has been placed under the care of M.D. Anderson hopsital. The offensive lineman, drafted in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft out of San Jose State, was placed on the Non-Football Injury list.
"Our medical community here in Houston is the best in the world," general manager Rick Smith said in a statement. "We are extremely confident in the care and treatment David will receive. He is a fighter and a courageous young man and we look forward to his full and complete recovery. We will continue to support him and his family and look forward to his return to the team."
There were no surprises among the Texans' inactives for Monday's game in San Diego. The list includes guard Cody White, quarterback Case Keenum, offensive tackles Andrew Gardner and David Quessenberry, and linebackers Darryl Sharpton (concussion) and Sam Montgomery (Achilles).
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak told the official team's website he's concerned about how the right side of his offensive line will shake out. That's because both Derek Newton and Brennan Williams, two guys expected to compete for the job, didn't participate in OTAs or minicamp.
"If you look at our roster, it looks good, but the bottom line is the guys aren't out there, so that's concerning for us as a team and me as a coach," Kubiak said last Thursday. "I love the way Newton has worked. I think he made a lot of progress as a player last year. He played hurt at the end of the year, which was tough on him and us as a team. We drafted a young man with a lot of ability (Williams). He hasn't been out here yet."
Newton is a former seventh-round pick who started 14 games last season before suffering a patellar tendon injury. Williams hurt his knee in minicamp in May.
Veteran Ryan Harris and rookie David Quessenberry split reps at right tackle this spring.
"(Right tackle) is (a concern)," Kubiak said. "I think it is for the guys up front, too. Our four starters are locked in up front, putting Brandon in with those guys. I think even those guys are looking, thinking, 'OK, who's it going to be? Who's going to step up and take this job and play here for the next 10 years and play right tackle for the Texans?' So I think we're all watching that. I think Newton took a step towards doing that last year, and now he has to take another big step."