Jones has been sidelined for the final three weeks of the Bills' offseason program after requiring knee surgery in May, but McDermott's comments suggest the wideout is progressing from that procedure as anticipated. Jones also underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder in January, but that appears to be the lesser concern of the two injuries, given the longer amount of time he has had to recover from that setback. Assuming Jones is reasonably healthy by the time camp gets underway, he'll likely be the frontrunner to claim the starting wideout role opposite Kelvin Benjamin, given the underwhelming pool of challengers the Bills have on hand to push the 2017 second-round pick for snaps.
Coach Sean McDermott said Thursday that Jones had surgery on his knee last week and will be out for the remainder of the spring, Joe Buscaglia of WKBW.com reports. "Best for us to get this done now," said McDermott.
This is concerning considering Jones recently received a clean bill of health following offseason shoulder surgery, though the coach went on to say Thursday that Jones' status for the 2018 season shouldn't be in jeopardy. Piling on to the knee issue, Jones had a bizarre incident that went public over the offseason. He'll also have a new quarterback and offensive coordinator this season. While there's no one on the roster that appears likely to take his No. 2 job, there's certainly going to be quite a bit of variance in his expected 2018 output.
Jones is close to full heath following offseason surgery for a torn labrum, Chris Brown of the Bills' official site reports. "Not quite 100 percent, but he's working like some of the other players," head coach Sean McDermott said. "We do have some guys that are still working, rehabbing, Zay being one of them."
Jones should be fine once the summer activities get serious. The team has also talked to him about his recent bizarre off-field incident that resulted in an arrest but no charges and appears satisfied that the young player can safely move past the embarrassing actions. He'll enter the season as the leading candidate for the No. 2 receiving job, though there's talk the team might take a receiver high in the upcoming draft.
No charges ended up getting filed against Jones, though he's surely embarrassed over the incident and had some explaining to do with his employer. The Bills appear ready to move on, so now the only question regarding the incident remains whether the league plans on looking into the matter.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney won't charge Jones for vandalism due to "insufficient evidence," Mike Rodak of ESPN.com reports.
The incident in question involved a fight with his brother, Cayleb, at a Los Angeles apartment building and his subsequent arrest. A video obtained by TMZ reveals what appears to be a seriously-impaired Jones and broken glass doors and windows, among other disturbing images. It's unclear how the DA arrived at her decision, but the NFL likely will look into the matter to learn if Jones violated the personal conduct policy.