Miguel Sano fulfilled his promise as an elite power hitter before missing most of the final two months due to a shin injury. The Twins stopped using him in the outfield, and he was passable defensively at third base. He hit 21 home runs with a .906 OPS in the first half, but played just 32 games in the second half due to a stress reaction in his left shin. Sano tried to return briefly in September, eventually needing offseason surgery to insert a metal rod into his leg. He has a career 12.3 percent walk rate and monstrous power, but he continues to strike out in over one-third of his plate appearances. Fortunately, his 44.8 percent hard-hit rate ranked fourth in MLB, which significantly raises his batting average floor. He's expected to be completely healthy when spring training begins. In December, Sano was accused of an alleged sexual assault that occurred in 2015. At press time, no charges had been filed, and MLB had not publicly started an investigation.
Sano (ankle) arrived at the Twins' spring training facility Sunday and said that he's been cleared to perform all baseball activities, Dan Hayes of The Athletic Minnesota reports. Though Sano's ankle has healed as expected following mid-November surgery, it's still likely that the Twins will limit his workload early on in camp in an attempt to keep him as fresh as possible heading into Opening Day. While Sano's return from injury shouldn't warrant too much concern for fantasy owners heading into the start of the season, it's possible that the 24-year-old could miss time due to suspension with Major League Baseball continuing to investigate assault accusations against the third baseman stemming from an incident that occurred in 2015. It remains to be seen when MLB will conclude its investigation or if Sano will face any discipline.
Sano (shin) is expected to report to camp on time, keeping him on track to be ready for Opening Day, Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports. Sano is currently rehabbing in the Dominican Republic from mid-November shin surgery, but he'll reconvene with his teammates in Florida when position players report next week. According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Sano's leg has healed on schedule and he's been able to field and hit grounders recently. That said, he'll still be limited early on in camp, primarily focusing on his conditioning when he arrives. It should be noted that MLB's investigation into assault allegations involving Sano remains ongoing.
Sano (lower leg) remains in Florida to continue his rehab while the Twins are hopeful that he will be ready to go by Opening Day, LaVelle E. Neal of The Star Tribune reports. This suggests Sano will not see a full workload during spring training, as he continues to work his way back from shin surgery in mid-November. As far as the assault allegations that arose last month go, the club had no further statement on the matter and will allow the MLB's investigation to run its course. Expect further updates on his status prior to the beginning of spring camp.
The Twins acknowledged Thursday that they are aware of assault allegations involving Sano stemming from an incident in 2015. A female photographer claims Sano physically assaulted her at an Apple store. Aside from acknowledging the incident and saying they take the allegations "very seriously," the Twins did not offer further comment. Both the team and Major League Baseball figure to launch an investigation. Sano has been recovering from November shin surgery.
Sano (shin) is continuing his rehab in Florida, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. Sano is about four weeks into his initial eight-week recovery timeframe, but he's apparently doing well. He's expected to continue ramping up his activity before heading to the Dominican Republic to work with Fernando Tatis. Barring any setbacks, Sano should be back to full health well ahead of spring training.