Bosh confirmed in an appearance this week on "The Bill Simmons Podcast" that he's no longer pursuing a return to professional basketball, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports. "That part of my life is over. That has been a tough thing to deal with, but I'm good, which has taken a long time [for me to accept]...I could have kept playing. But man, that time has passed. I've made the decision not to pursue it anymore," Bosh told Simmons.
Bosh made his last NBA appearance came Feb. 9, 2016 before doctors discovered that he was dealing with a recurrence of blood clots. The Heat shut him down for the rest of the season as a result of the condition, but Bosh had been hopeful to return in 2016-17 while taking blood thinners. Because of the heightened medical risk that would present, multiple doctors were unwilling to clear Bosh to play, much to the veteran's frustration. Bosh was later released by the Heat in July 2017 and had kept the faint hope of playing alive, but his medical situation made teams to reluctant to take a flier on the big man. Now apparently at peace with life after basketball, Bosh is set to have his jersey retired by the Heat on March 26, officially spelling an end to a 13-year career that included 11 All-Star appearance and two NBA titles.
Bosh, who hasn't played competitive basketball since Feb. 9, 2016, could petition the NBA for a return to the court during the upcoming season, Sean Deveney of Sporting News reports.
Bosh has been out of the league since the summer of 2017, when the Heat officially released him after the team was unwilling to clear him for game action following multiple recurrences of blood clots. Though Bosh would face substantial risk of life-threatening internal bleeding as a result of the hard contact inherent in basketball, it apparently hasn't dissuaded him from calling an end to his career. The 34-year-old Bosh would likely have to overcome several hurdles -- both legal and physical -- before teams indulge his request to play again, but Deveney speculates that the Lakers would be the most logical landing spot for the 11-time All-Star. Bosh maintains a residence in the Los Angeles area and has plenty of familiarity with the newly signed LeBron James from their four years as teammates in Miami.
Bosh indicated Thursday that he's pondering a potential NBA comeback, Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports. "I've been in the gym. I can still play basketball. No, I'm not done yet," Bosh said.
Bosh has been out of the league since the 2015 season, which was when he first found out about a potentially life-threatening blood clot issue. At the time, the Heat medical staff wasn't willing to let him play through it, though Bosh now believes the condition can be managed. It's unclear if any other NBA team would be willing to bring Bosh in due to those health concerns and at this point, nothing is imminent. That said, it appears Bosh still has the itch to play and he's going to do everything he can to latch on with a contender by next season. "Next season, yeah," Bosh said of a potential comeback. "The roster spots haven't been filled this season yet, so it's always a possibility."
Bosh has officially been waived by the Heat.
As expected, the Heat have waived Bosh, clearing his remaining $52.1 million salary off the books as a result of a medical exception due to blood clot episodes. Bosh last played during the 2015 season, where he averaged 19.1 points and 7.4 boards over 53 games. As a testament to Bosh's accomplishments with the Heat, Pat Riley has indicated that Bosh's jersey will be retired. All signs indicate that Bosh will likely retire and possibly work in television, as he did with Turner Sports for a period of five weeks during last season.
Bosh has unofficially agreed to part ways with the Heat in a deal made between him, the team, the union and the NBA, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports. The Heat would receive "maximum cap relief" before the start of free agency.
The deal, while still unofficial, seems all but done. Once everything is sorted out, the Heat will permanently clear Bosh's remaining $52.1 million salary off the books, even if he resumes his career elsewhere. The 33-year-old hasn't taken the floor during the past season and a half due to blood clot episodes, for which he remains on blood thinners. He last played during the 2015 season, where he averaged 19.1 points and 7.4 rebounds while playing 53 games. It's unknown at this time if he will officially retire soon, but he worked as a guest studio analyst for Turner sports for a period of five weeks during this past season -- seemingly testing the waters outside of his playing career.
Bosh (blood clots) will work as a guest studio analyst for Turner Sports over the next five weeks and seems to have ruled out a potential return this season, Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports.
Bosh made his debut on TNT on Monday night, signaling that he's already started to thinking about his post-playing career after team doctors failed his physical due to complications stemming from blood clots, an issue the big man has dealt with since February 2015. Once an independent doctor rules that Bosh's blood clots are a career-ending condition, the Heat are expected to clear the remaining two years of his five-year, $118.7 million contract from their books at some point after March 1, though Bosh will still be paid out his salary in full. Heat president Pat Riley acknowledged in September that Bosh's career with Miami was likely over, and though a release from the team wouldn't preclude the 32-year-old from exploring opportunities elsewhere, it seems that Bosh is becoming increasingly more receptive to retirement.
Bosh (blood clots) said Thursday that he's "kind of getting a taste of retirement now," and could be ready to accept that his NBA career is over, Anthony Chiang of the Palm Beach Post reports.
Bosh hasn't played in a competitive game since last February due to ongoing blood clot issues, and though he was working out this offseason in preparation for a return in 2016-17, the Heat's team doctors were unwilling to clear him for training camp. The 11-time All-Star remains a member of the 15-man roster, but team president Pat Riley said in September that Bosh's career with Miami "probably is over," so it seems likely that he'll be waived Feb. 9 or later, when the team would be eligible to apply for salary-cap relief from his contract. Bosh, who was displeased with the organization's unwillingness to clear him and previously indicated that he planned to keep his career going, is perhaps coming to grips with the reality that his issues with blood clots are severe enough to present long-term complications if he were to continue playing. Even if Bosh becomes a free agent in February or after March 1 -- when he wouldn't be eligible to play in the postseason if he signs elsewhere -- it seems rather unlikely that a team would be willing to take a gamble on him, given his problematic medical history. Even in the deepest of leagues, Bosh doesn't make for a strong stash.
Heat president Pat Riley said Monday that he believes Bosh's (blood clots) Heat career is likely over, Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press reports. "We are not working toward his return," Riley said.
Riley's comments more or less confirm what Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski had suggested over the weekend, as Heat team doctors once again denied Bosh's return to the court by failing him in his pre-training camp physical. With Bosh having already suffered setbacks with blood clots in back-to-back seasons and still showing evidence of clotting in his left calf, it's looking quite possible that we've seen the last of him at the NBA level, since a return to the court would pose major medical risks. The Heat will still pay Bosh the remaining $76 million owed on his contract, but he'll have to remain on the 15-man roster until at least Feb. 9 in order for his salary not to count against the Heat's cap. Expect him to be waived after that date.
Members of the Heat organization increasingly believe that Bosh's (blood clots) tenure with the franchise is over, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports.
After seeing his past two seasons come to an early end due to blood clot episodes, Bosh failed his preseason physical earlier this week and remains without a definite timetable to return. While Bosh intimated earlier in the offseason that he hoped to get back on the court for training camp while taking blood-thinning medication, doctors weren't willing to clear him after determining that evidence of clotting still existed in his left calf. Bosh has maintained for several months that he feels healthy and said Friday that he remains hopeful for an eventual return to the court, but the Heat's unwillingness to clear him has soured his relationship with the team brass, as Wojnarowski reports that Bosh hasn't spoken with team president Pat Riley for months. Since Bosh is signed for three more years and $76 million, the Heat remain on the hook for his entire contract, and would be unable to waive him until Feb. 9 in order for his contract not to count against the salary cap. Assuming that team doctors don't budge from their assessment of Bosh's condition within the next few months, look for the Heat to release him shortly before the All-Star break, which would effectively end his NBA career.
Bosh (blood clots) failed his physical and will be unable to practice for the start of training camp.
Bosh and the Heat indicated in the offseason that the all-star was ready to return but his failed physical leaves him without a timetable to return. He hasn't played since the all-star break in February and his status for the season opener against the Magic is in serious question.
Bosh (blood clots) went through physicals with the Heat's training staff Wednesday, but the team has yet to issue an update on his status for the upcoming season, Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.
Bosh indicated earlier in the offseason that he believes he's ready to play again, a sentiment that was echoed by some members in the organization, including teammate Udonis Haslem. While Bosh can't be counted on to participate in training camp until he's officially cleared by team doctors, it appears there's growing momentum that the power forward will be able to return to the court this season after his previous two campaigns ended early due to blood clots. Bosh continues to take blood thinners to deal with his condition, and while the Heat were reluctant to let him play last season while on medication, the organization may have softened its stance. Expect a formal update on Bosh to arrive before the Heat begins camp later this month.
Bosh indicated on an Open Run podcast that he's ready to play, Rachel Nichols of ESPN.com reports. Bosh stated, "Absolutely, I mean, I'm ready to play. We've been talking for it for a long time - we released a statement back in May, saying as soon as I'm ready to play, as soon as possible, we'll play. And I'm ready. I've done all my work, I've done what I need to do, working with the doctors. I'm in incredible shape - at least decent enough."
With teammate Udonis Haslem recently releasing a statement saying he expects Bosh to be an active participant in training camp, this latest quote from Bosh only furthers the growing optimism that he'll be available to play during the upcoming season. Bosh is currently taking blood thinners after experiencing multiple issues with blood cots in the past year and despite original indications that the Heat organization may not be on board with him playing, they now appear to be willing to entertain the idea. If Bosh does indeed play, he'll be a high risk, high reward player, as his clotting issues could reappear during the season.
Bosh's (blood clots) teammate Udonis Haslem said Tuesday that he expects Bosh to be an active participant in training camp, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports. "As far as a timetable when [Bosh is] on the floor, I'm not sure about that," Haslem said. "I haven't really gotten into the medical part of it. I'm definitely expecting him to be at camp and to be participating. I'm not sure if it will be full contact or by himself or if he needs me to work extra with him or whatever the situation may be, but I'm expecting him to be there."
Haslem, a career-long member of the Heat, is essentially an extension of the organization's front office at this point in his career, so his assessment of the Bosh situation carries some weight. Bosh, who is eight months removed from suffering his second setback related to blood clots, has expressed a desire to play the upcoming season while taking blood thinners, an idea the Heat appear willing to entertain. Official word on Bosh's status should come once the team has convened for camp later this month, but the power forward's fantasy stock is clearly on the rise now that retirement seems to be a less likely outcome. That said, Bosh could very well experience more clotting if he indeed returns this season, making him one of the riskier fantasy investments out there.
The Heat organization has "growing optimism" that Bosh (blood clots) will be cleared to resume his playing career while playing on blood thinners, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports.
Bosh was denied the opportunity to play on blood thinners in the postseason this past spring following a recurrence of blood clots in his left calf, but the organization appears to have since come around on the idea after the big man recently resumed working out. If Bosh does indeed end up receiving clearance to start playing competitively, he could see his workload restricted, particularly during back-to-back sets. Bosh's history of blood clots and the possibility of a minutes or games limit hinders his fantasy appeal, but his performance shouldn't suffer in the contests he does play. The 32-year-old is in line to start at power forward in 2016-17 if health prevails and could even be asked to take on a greater role in the Heat's offensive attack now that Dwyane Wade is out of town.
Bosh (blood clots) posted a series of workout videos on his personal Instagram account Monday that suggested he's ready to play again, ESPN.com's Michael Wallace reports. "I know I've been gone for a moment, but now I'm back," Bosh said in one of the videos. "Everybody is always asking me, 'Am I hooping?' Yes, I'm hooping. I'm a hooper.'"
The 32-year-old Bosh has seen his last two seasons end prematurely due to blood clots, a condition that has threatened his playing career. Since getting shut down after a recurrence of the clots last February, Bosh has worked to regain conditioning over the past few months, but is still awaiting clearance from doctors to play this season. Bosh, who has three years and $76 million remaining on his contract, has been featured in Heat promotional campaigns this summer, perhaps indicating that the organization is optimistic that he'll be able to play in 2016-17. Look for the Heat to provide an update on Bosh's situation prior to the start of training camp Sept. 27.
The Heat are cautiously optimistic that Bosh (blood clots) will be able to play during the upcoming season, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports.
In his letter to season-ticket holders last week, Heat owner Mickey Arison listed Bosh among the core group of players he expects to lead the team during the 2016-17 campaign. While doctors have yet to officially clear Bosh to play following back-to-back seasons that ended prematurely due to blood clots, it appears the Heat think that the extended time off the floor might have granted the 32-year-old enough recovery time. It remains uncertain if Bosh is still on blood thinners to address the clots in his left calf, and he likely won't be cleared until he no longer requires any medication. Until the Heat provide more clarity on Bosh's situation heading into the season, it will be difficult to justify spending an early-round pick on him in fantasy drafts.
Heat president Pat Riley said over the weekend that he's still uncertain if Bosh will be able to rejoin the team in 2016-17 after the forward experienced renewed blood clotting in his left calf last season, ESPN.com reports. "It's a positive environment right now with Chris," Riley said. "I think his doctors and our doctors are constantly, or more so now than ever, communicating. I know what Chris wants. I know he wants to play. And obviously we would be open to that, but this is still a very fluid situation."
Riley said the team expects to gain more clarity on Bosh's situation in the coming months, but it appears there's still no news to report on the matter, as has seemingly been the case since his season ended in February due to the blood clots, which also resulted in an early end to his 2014-15 campaign. If Bosh were cleared to return, the Heat would consider holding him to a restricted schedule and limited workload in order to avoid another recurrence of the clots. The Heat suffered a big blow when Dwyane Wade left for the Bulls in the offseason, and the possibility of Bosh being unavailable for the start of the upcoming season would represent yet another hit to the team's playoff aspirations.
The Heat are hopeful that Bosh (calf) will be available for the start of training camp, ESPN.com's Michael Wallace reports.
Both the Heat and Bosh have been mum on the forward's recovery from a recurrence of blood clots in his left calf, a condition that has ended both of his last two seasons prematurely. He had previously been taking blood thinners to address the clots, but it's not known if Bosh is still using the medication. There's still some fear from the Heat organization that doctors won't clear Bosh to play again, but his $23 million contract will be guaranteed entering the 2016-17 season regardless of his status. While a potential return could perhaps make Bosh more susceptible to another setback with the blood clots, his on-court production shouldn't suffer if he's able to play. He was in the midst of another excellent season prior to getting shut down shortly before the All-Star break, averaging 19.1 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.5 three-pointers per game while shooting 46.7 percent from the floor in 53 appearances.
Members of the Heat organization are fearful that Bosh's recurrence of blood clots may prevent him from playing again, ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst reports.
Bosh has been sidelined since the All-Star break after he was diagnosed with blood clotting in his left calf, marking the second consecutive time that his season has come to a premature end due to clots. The power forward still wants to keep his career going, but because of the long-term risks his condition prevents, it's uncertain if team doctors will ever clear him to play. Expect Bosh, who is still on blood thinners, to undergo extensive consultations throughout the offseason. Bosh is under contract for three more seasons for a total of $75 million.
Bosh (calf) will officially be out for the remainder of 2016 playoffs, Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press reports.
The Heat released a statement declaring Bosh done for the year Wednesday as he deals with a potentially career-ending blood clots in his left calf. The 32 year-old's designation is no surprise and has been assumed for a while now. He hopes to be back for next season, but there will surely be a lot of argument over Bosh's life-threatening condition before any decision is made regarding the rest of the forward's career.
|Last 7 Games|
|Complete Game Log|