Mewhort was placed on the reserve/retired list by the Colts on Wednesday, Andrew Walker of the team's official site reports.
Mewhort announced his retirement from the NFL after four seasons. The 2014 second-rounder started 30 games in his first two seasons with Indianapolis, showing strong potential in that time. Injuries unfortunately seem to have derailed Mewhort's career, causing him to miss 17 games over the previous two years. Mewhort's retirement reduces the Colts' roster to 89 players, allowing them to sign another depth player.
Mewhort (knee) is healthy and ready for the start of training camp, Kevin Bowen of ESPN reports.
Mewhort suffered a season-ending knee injury last year, but he participated in spring practices and isn't expected to be limited at the start of camp. He may receive some veteran rest days but otherwise should be a full-go. He'll be competing for the starting job at right guard.
Mewhort (knee) seemed to be full-go during most of the offseason workout program this spring, Andrew Walker of the Colts' official site reports.
The Colts have been careful with Mewhort in his return from last year's season-ending knee injury, but it doesn't look like he'll be under any restrictions when training camp opens in late July. He figures to compete with Matt Slauson and rookie second-round pick Braden Smith for the starting job at right guard.
Mewhort didn't go through Wednesday's OTA practice with the Colts continuing to monitor the health of his knee, Mike Chappell of Fox 59 News Indianapolis reports.
Mewhort, who signed a one-year deal to remain with the Colts in March, landed on injured reserve in mid-October of last season due to a knee injury. He also suffered a meniscus injury in late 2016, so it appears the team is taking a cautious approach to his practice schedule.
Mewhort (knee) re-signed Wednesday with the Colts on a one-year contract, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.
Mewhort's deal contains a base value of $1.5 million and contains an additional $1.5 million in incentives. The 2014 second-round pick has missed large portions of the past two seasons with injuries, but has some potential should he stay healthy. After ending the past season on injured reserve, Mewhort said he'll be ready for the start of the Colts' offseason workout program and doesn't anticipate having any physical restrictions, according to Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan Indianapolis.
Mewhort was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury Saturday, Stephen Holder of The Indianapolis Star reports.
Mewhort underwent an MRI after his knee swelled up Friday and it was decided that another surgery was necessary. The 26-year-old sustained a meniscus injury late last season as well, and will finish on IR for the second consecutive season.
Mewhort (knee) will be ready to fully participate in practices when the Colts' training camp begins, Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star reports.
Mewhort finished the 2016 campaign on injured reserve due to a knee injury suffered in December. He was then limited during offseason activities. It looks like the injury won't be a concern for the preseason.
Mewhort (knee) did not practice Tuesday, George Bremer of The Herald Bulletin reports.
Reports say Mewhort is progressing nicely from the knee injury that he sustained at the end of last season. He actually practiced Monday, which suggests his absence could be linked to a more precautionary transition back into action. By the end of the week, we should have a good idea of where he stands health-wise.
Colts offensive lineman Jack Mewhort received the majority of his snaps on Wednesday at right tackle, according to ESPN.com.
Mewhort was getting these reps due to Gosder Cherilus unavailable. Mewhort entered the league as a left guard.
"Versatility is hard to find," Colts coach Chuck Pagano said. "So obviously him playing a bunch of spots and playing everywhere along the line is definitely the more you can do. I think everybody is well aware of that spot and us trying to fill that hole right now. I'm fully confident that we've got the guys in this building right now that we're going to be fine there."
The Colts are trying offensive linemen at different positions in the team's offseason workouts.
Part of the reason for the shuffling is that a pair of linemen, right tackle Gosder Cherilus and right guard Donald Thomas, aren't taking part in OTAs.
Left guard Jack Mewhort filled in at right tackle and newly acquired Todd Herremans was at right guard.
At center, Jonotthan Harrison appears to have the early edge over Khaled Holmes.
"We've got some guys that we're moving around," coach Chuck Pagano said, per ESPN. "Come training camp, still going to be some competition."
The Colts have given the green light for Week 7 action to offensive linemen Gosder Cherilus (knee), Jack Mewhort (ankle) and Hugh Thornton (back). All had been deemed probable.
The Colts are in fine shape as they prepare for their Week 7 game against visiting Cincinnati. Only defensive back Darius Butler has been ruled out. The lone questionable is defensive tackle Arthur Jones. Both are dealing with ankle problems.
The probables are safety Mike Adams (ankle), tackle Gosder Cherilus (knee) and offensive linemen Jack Mewhort (ankle) and Hugh Thornton (back).
The following players were ruled inactive for the Colts Week 6 at Houston: Darius Butler, Victor Butler, Khaled Holmes, Hugh Thornton, Kelcy Quarles, Jack Mewhort and Arthur Jones.
Colts starting guards Jack Mewhort and Hugh Thornton will not be their starting guards Thursday against Houston. Both are out with injuries.
That could prove problematic considering the presence on the opposite side of Houston stud defensive end J.J. Watt.
Mewhort will miss his second straight game with an ankle injury. Thornton has been red-lighted with a back issue.
The following players have been ruled inactive for the Colts in Week 5 against the Ravens: Jalil Brown, Chris Carter, Khaled Holmes, Jamon Meredith, Kelcy Quarles, Jack Mewhort and Arthur Jones.
The Colts injury report issued Friday for their Sunday game against Baltimore is dominated by probables. Only ruled out defensive tackle Arthur Jones and offensive lineman Jack Mewhort, both of whom are out with ankle injuries, have been designated otherwise.
The probables are safety Colt Anderson (groin), linebackers Jerrell Freeman (hamstring) and Andy Studebaker (hamstring) and guard Hugh Thornton (ankle).
The Colts ruled out rookie left guard Jack Mewhort (ankle) for Sunday's game against the Ravens, reports the Indianapolis Star. The second-round pick started the first four games.
Indy will shift Lance Louis from right guard to left guard, with Hugh Thornton returning from an ankle injury to play right guard, the paper said.
Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, running back Ahmad Bradshaw and rookie offensive lineman Jack Mewhort returned to practice Monday, Colts.com reports.
According to the team's official website, the following players will not dress for the Colts against the Giants Saturday night: Wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, defensive back Delano Howell, running back Vick Ballard, fullback Stanley Havili, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, linebacker Jerrell Freeman, linebacker Josh McNary, center Khaled Holmes, tackle Ulrick John, tackle Xavier Nixon, tackle Jack Mewhort, wide receiver Reggie Wayne, defensive lineman Montori Hughes and linebacker Robert Mathis.
In addition to Trent Richardson missing practice on Friday, the Colts have safety LaRon Landry, cornerback Vontae Davis and rookie guard Jack Mewhort all sitting out according to the Indianapolis Star. Landry and Davis' situations have been deemed precautionary.