Manziel signed a contract with the Alliance of American Football and has been claimed by the Memphis Express, Jason Munz of The Memphis Commercial Appeal reports.
Manziel was released by the Montreal Alouettes in late February after he committed an undisclosed violation of his CFL contract, thus finishing his time in the league with 1,290 passing yards, 215 rushing yards, five passing touchdowns and seven interceptions in eight games. He may eventually have a shot at playing time in Memphis, where Christian Hackenberg and Zach Mettenberger (ankle) have led the Express to a 1-5 start. Even if he does get his chance under center, Manziel is a long way from earning consideration for a return to the NFL.
Manziel was released Wednesday by the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. The CFL has informed all of its clubs that it won't register a contract for the quarterback should any team attempt to sign him.
Manziel allegedly "had contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league," according to Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed. While the exact infraction the quarterback is reportedly responsible for remains unknown, this development likely makes Manziel's chances of making it back in the NFL an even longer shot now that he no longer has a platform to prove his abilities.
Manziel announced Saturday on his Twitter account that he has signed a two-year contract with the Hamiton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League.
Once opposed to playing north of the border, Manziel's tune has changed after receiving lukewarm interest from NFL teams. He completed nine of his 15 pass attempts for 83 yards and a touchdown during The Spring League, proving to still possess talent greater than his competitors at the showcase. Following some struggles with addiction and bipolar disorder that led to a quick exit from the NFL, he will attempt to get his career back on track. A strong showing with Hamilton in 2018-19 could prompt an NFL club to give Manziel, still just 25, another chance to compete for a roster spot.
Manziel completed nine of 15 passes for 83 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's appearance in The Spring League, NFL.com's Jeremy Bergman reports.
Manziel threw a pretty touchdown pass while rolling out to his right early in the game, but he also took three sacks and failed to erase a four-point deficit on the final drive. It was a mixed bag in his first football game since Dec. 27, 2015, with the 2014 first-round pick unable to fully take advantage of developmental-league competition that's far below NFL standards. Manziel said in late March that he'd be willing to play in the CFL if he doesn't get any NFL offers this offseason, hoping to restart his career after struggles with addiction and bipolar disorder contributed to a rapid fall out of professional football. He recently threw in front of NFL scouts during pro days at the University of San Diego and Texas A&M, shortly after announcing that he'd participate in The Spring League. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats own Manziel's CFL rights and represent his best shot at playing in an actual game this upcoming season, but the 25-year-old likely hopes he'll get a chance to compete for a roster spot in the NFL.
Manziel said he will play in the CFL if he doesn't get any NFL offers this offseason, Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News reports.
The 2014 first-round pick has been out of football since March 2016 when he was released by the Browns. Believed to be sober after years of substance-abuse issues, Manziel threw to receivers at the University of San Diego's pro day last week and is scheduled for an appearance at Texas A&M's pro day on Tuesday, per NFL.com. He also intends to play in The Spring League, a developmental football league in Austin, Texas for NFL hopefuls. His CFL rights are held by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, a team that went 6-12 while dealing with shaky quarterback play for much of last season.
Manziel posted Wednesday on his personal Twitter account that he'll resume his football career by taking part in The Spring League, a scouting and showcase event based in Austin, Texas.
Manziel, 25, has been out of football since being waived by the Browns in March 2016 following a dismal two-year stint with the club after being selected with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. In addition to his struggles with directing the Cleveland offense, Manziel drew negative headlines for his multiple off-the-field incidents during his time in the league and the months that followed, which further limited other NFL teams' interest in granting him a second chance. During an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" last week, Manziel expressed that he's ready to return to the gridiron after his extended break, acknowledging that he's in a better place to resume his career after getting sober and receiving medication to address bipolar disorder, a condition he said he was diagnosed with "about a year ago," according to ESPN.com. If the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner impresses in The Spring League, which runs from March 28 through mid-April, it's possible that a team may extend him an invite to its offseason program, but it remains unlikely that Manziel will ever take another snap in the NFL.
The Canadian Football League approved Manziel to a sign a 2018 contract with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports.
Since being waived by the Browns in March of 2016 following a disastrous two-year run with the team marred by several off-field incidents, Manziel hasn't played professionally anywhere. It appears Manziel's road back to the NFL will have to begin north of the border, though he'll need to fulfill a number of confidential restrictions in order to remain eligible in the CFL. If the 25-year-old Manziel ultimately signs with Hamilton and finds success in his return to the field while avoiding the police blotter, he could get another look at the NFL level down the line.
Saints head coach Sean Payton suggested the team doesn't expect to sign Manziel, NOLA.com's Larry Holder reports.
Payton and Manziel met for lunch last week, which led to rumors that the Saints are interested in signing the 24-year-old quarterback as a potential long-term successor to Drew Brees. The more likely scenario is that Manziel simply wanted to talk with a respected figure in the league about what he would have to do to get his career back on track. If he does end up signing with a team before the season, it'll likely be as a developmental project looking toward 2018 and beyond. Manziel also would need to serve a four-game suspension for his last violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.
Manziel met with Saints head coach Sean Payton to discuss a possible return to football, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports.
This doesn't mean the Saints have any interest in Manziel, who was released by the Browns last March and spent 2016 out of the NFL. The 24-year-old quarterback likely sought out Payton's advice because the veteran coach is a well-known, respected figure around the league. If he does in fact catch on with a team, Manziel will still need to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Any interested teams likely would view him as a developmental project more so than a potential 2017 contributor.
The NFL has suspended Manziel four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy, ESPN.com reports.
Manziel, who was released by the Browns back in March, remains a free agent, with off-field concerns continuing to cloud his NFL future. In any case, the QB won't be eligible to suit up in the NFL to start the 2016 season and at this stage it remains to be seen if/when he'll be afforded an opportunity to do so.
Manziel will be indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from a Jan. 29 incident where he allegedly assaulted his ex-girlfriend, WFAA.com reports.
Manziel might not see jail time for this, but by now his reputation is fractured to the point that there just isn't an obvious way for him to get his NFL career back on track. Agent Drew Rosenhaus generally is unafraid to take on a client with character questions -- he represents Greg Hardy, after all -- but Rosenhaus dropped Manziel earlier in April, giving reason to doubt any recent progress on Manziel's part. Manziel arguably wouldn't be much of a prospect at this point, even if his character were entirely clean, so the fact that he carries an exceptionally disturbing history makes him appear unlikely to see the field from this point.
Agent Drew Rosenhaus has reportedly terminated his representation of Manziel, ESPN.com reports.
Rosenhaus' decision to cut ties with the QB represents the second time in two months that an agent has parted ways with Manziel. The 23-year-old's stint with the Browns was marked by flashes of on-field potential, but off-field issues cloud his NFL future, with the 2014 first-rounder remaining a free agent at this time.
Manziel cleared waivers Saturday, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Manziel becomes a free agent, but several off-field indiscretions are causing teams to shy away. In addition to the off-field antics, Manziel's on-field performance has been substandard. He's gone 2-6 as a starter in two NFL seasons with seven touchdowns and seven picks.
The Browns have waived Manziel, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
Manziel, who was the 22nd overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, will thus look to revive his NFL career elsewhere as a reclamation project for another organization. His stint with Cleveland was marked by flashes of on-field potential, but off-field issues led to the Browns' decision to move on from the 23-year-old signal-caller.
The Dallas Police Department has reopened its investigation into an alleged domestic violence incident committed by Manziel last Saturday morning.
On Friday, the department received a complaint of the alleged assault, spurring a renewed effort to determine if anything criminal occurred during the encounter. As the listed suspect, Manziel could now be facing legal concerns in addition to any discipline that the NFL may hand down.
Manziel won't be charged by either the Fort Worth or Dallas police departments in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident from Saturday morning, Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports.
Manziel's exit from NFL circles seems to be more assured by the week, especially after details emerged from his most recent brush with the law. On Saturday, an argument with an ex-girlfriend turned into a harrowing experience in which he "restrained" and struck her multiple times across two jurisdictions. Eventually, he ran from her residence, but not before police were called and a helicopter dispatched in search of the quarterback. Although he has avoided criminal charges, the NFL is investigating the matter to determine whether discipline is in order.
Manziel will be released by the Browns when the new league year begins on March 9, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports.
Manziel added to his long list of off-field issues this past weekend when another domestic disturbance resulted in the authorities being called in to investigate. The Browns' front office has now officially had enough of Manziel and the distractions he brings with him and will opt to release him after just two seasons in Cleveland. However, the Browns cannot make the move official until the new league year begins in March. Now that Manziel's tenure in Cleveland has come to a close, it will be one of the stories of the offseason to see whether the embattled former Heisman Trophy winner can turn things around and convince a team to give him a second chance.
Fort Worth police released the full report on the incident involving Manziel from Saturday morning, which states that Fort Worth police are working with Dallas police to determine whether a criminal offense occurred, though there has been no arrest to this point.
The new information is somewhat convoluted but concerning in any case. The report states that a call was made alerting police to a potential assault, but upon arriving at the location, police could not locate the caller. Instead they found a woman now identified as Manziel's ex-girlfriend. The woman said she was involved with a disturbance with her ex-boyfriend (Manziel) earlier in the evening, in Dallas, though she evidently did not cooperate with Fort Worth police further. The woman otherwise told Fort Worth police that she was concerned for the well-being of Manziel, but police eventually determined that he was in no danger. The Fort Worth police forwarded the report to the Dallas Police Department. It sounds like another very messy situation for Manziel, whose presumed exit from Cleveland might be hastened in light of this news.
Police filed an information report regarding a dispute between Manziel and his girlfriend Saturday morning, NBC 5 Dallas/Fort Worth's David Watkins reports.
According to Watkins, police were called early Saturday morning to look into a dispute between Manziel and his girlfriend, but there was no arrest made. It's not clear at this point what any of the specifics of the situation were, but either way this is more bad attention for a player who has no PR capital left. More reporting on the matter figures to be available in the near future.
ESPN.com suggests that the Browns' hiring of Hue Jackson as head coach likely signals the ends of Manziel's stint in Cleveland.
While Manziel made some on-field strides this season, off-field concerns often overshadowed his play, and at this stage it appears as though the team, under the coaching leadership of Jackson, may be prepared to move on from the 2014 first-rounder. In such a scenario, it's unclear whether the Browns would try to trade Manziel or simply release him at some point this offseason.