Cravens (personal) has received medical clearance for take part in all football activities and is planning on playing against next season, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
Cravens had reportedly been contemplating retirement in just his second NFL season and had ultimately been placed on the reserve/left squad list back in September. However, it appears as though there has been a change in health and a change of heart for the defensive back, as while he still won't return this year, he's fully expected to be with the team for the start of the 2018 season.
The Redskins placed Cravens (personal) on the reserve/left squad list Monday, Brian McNally of 106.7 The Fan reports. In a statement, the organization said, "Su'a will not be permitted to return to the club for the remainder of the 2017 NFL season, including the postseason."
Cravens has been dabbling with retirement for a few weeks, but there was an expectation he'd return to the Redskins on Tuesday. A reunion won't happen this season, though, as his placement on the aforementioned list implies. If he decides on a certain route during his hiatus, the 2016 second-round pick may not play another NFL down.
Citing a desire to make his personal life more of a priority, Cravens surprisingly announced earlier in September that he would step away from the game and consider retirement, prompting the Redskins to place him on the NFL's exempt/left squad list. The organization planned to give the safety four weeks to decide his future in the NFL, and it appears he's since come around to the idea of playing again. The 22-year-old's agent has been in touch with coach Jay Gruden during the safety's hiatus, and Cravens was spotted with Redskins Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams on Saturday, further indicating that a reunion could be imminent. If Cravens does in fact resume practicing with the Redskins this week, it's not clear if he would immediately suit up for the Sept. 24 matchup with the Raiders or if the team would give him additional time to prepare for a return to game action.
Head coach Jay Gruden said Cravens (personal) has four weeks to determine his plans for the future, Stephen Czarda of the Redskins' official site reports. "Number one, and he is taking care of some personal issues and he has a lot to decide for a young man," Gruden said. "If he wants to continue to playing pro football, how he wants to go about it, number one, number two, things that he has to deal with. I think he has got four weeks really to try and get his life in order on and off the field and figure out where his priorities are and what he wants to do."
Cravens was placed on Non-Football Exempt list earlier this week due to personal matters. While not much is currently known about the situation, the word retirement has been floating around the 22-year-old linebacker-turned-safety for the past couple of days. He'll be out for the first quarter of the season, leaving Deshazor Everett to take over as the starting strong safety.
Cravens (knee) will be placed on the Non-Football Exempt list, Mike Jones of The Washington Post reports.
Cravens has been linked to retirement reports, but it seems like that notion is a bit premature at the moment. The former 2016 second-rounder has been battling his fair share of injuries on the field and personal matters off the gridiron. The reason for his absence has been kept tight-lipped, but his story seems far from finished. Cravens will have to miss the first four weeks of the season and will be eligible to return to action Week 5.