Thomas (foot) will sit out the final two days of mandatory minicamp, Mike Klis of 9News reports.
Thomas tweaked his toe during Tuesday's session and is apparently dealing with some soreness. He did indicate, however, that he wanted to practice, so it doesn't sound like anything serious. Thomas should be healthy for the start of training camp in late July.
Coach Vance Joseph said Tuesday that Thomas "tweaked" his foot, causing him to miss the team drills, Zac Stevens of BSNDenver.com reports.
Joseph didn't seem to indicate any concern about the issue, but it's worth monitoring the star wideout's availability as minicamp rolls along. Assuming the issue doesn't impact him in the long run, Thomas should lead the revamped Broncos receiving corps with a good opportunity to reach 140 targets after doing so in each of the last seven seasons.
Thomas is trying to bounce back from an off year, with 83 receptions and 949 yards representing his lowest totals since Tim Tebow was slinging passes. His contract offers the Broncos a manageable dead-cap charge if he's cut next offseason, but it might be too soon to shovel dirt on his career in Denver. Sutton does not have the breakaway speed Thomas had coming out of college, so the rookie's ascent is no sure thing. Thomas has a shot to benefit from above-average quarterback play for the first time since he signed his current contract the season prior to Denver's Super Bowl run, with the team signing Case Keenum to replace Trevor Siemian this offseason.
Coming off a down season, Thomas may have been worried the Broncos would ask him to take a pay cut, but general manager John Elway said it wouldn't be an issue. True to his word, Elway exercised the option Tuesday, shortly after it was reported that Case Keenum will sign with Denver. Even if Keenum can't match his breakout 2017 campaign, he's a significant upgrade on Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch, giving the 30-year-old Thomas a real shot at a bounce-back season. The Broncos also are expected to retain Emmanuel Sanders, but the rest of the offense is rife with question marks, including the future of lead back C.J. Anderson.
Broncos general manager John Elway said Wednesday that the team would exercise Thomas' $4 million team option for 2018, which triggers the final two years of the five-year, $70 million contract extension he signed in the summer of 2015, Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post reports.
There had been some speculation that the Broncos might request Thomas to take a pay cut during the offseason in order to free up money to address needs elsewhere on the roster, but Elway's comments suggest that Denver still views the 30-year-old as a quality No. 1 wideout, even after a down season in 2017. Elway also indicated that fellow starting receiver Emmanuel Sanders (ankle) would be retained in 2018, leaving the Broncos to perhaps make some tough roster cuts on defense if they're serious about making a run at one of the free-agent quarterbacks set to hit the market in mid-March. With none of the three signal callers who started games for the Broncos in 2017 -- Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian (shoulder) and Brock Osweiler -- showcasing much potential, it's likely that the team's Week 1 starter for the upcoming season isn't yet on the roster. Until that position is settled, Thomas' odds of bouncing back in 2018 will remain muddled.
|Year||Team||G||Fum||Lost||Fum Forced||Own Rec||Opp Rec||Yds||Tot Rec||TD|