Johnson will face competition for a starting cornerback spot in 2019 after the Bills signed E.J. Gaines on Monday, Joe Buscaglia of WKBW.com reports.
Johnson signed with the Bills earlier this month after being waived by the Texans. The No. 16 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, he's coming off three injury-plagued seasons in which he suited up for just 19 games, including only one game in 2018. The physical cornerback will square off with Levi Wallace and the newly-acquired Gaines for the No. 2 job this offseason.
Johnson has agreed to terms with the Bills, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson, who was recently let go by the Texans, has had trouble staying healthy over the past few seasons, but if he can stay on the field for any length of time, the No. 16 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft will provide a nice boost to Buffalo's cornerback depth.
Johnson was waived by the Texans on Tuesday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
Johnson was owed over $9 million in 2019, an unpalatable salary for a player who was projected to serve as a backup. Since that sum was only guaranteed for injury until the start of the league year, it can be assumed that Johnson's release signals he's back to full health after landing on injured reserve last September due to a concussion.
Johnson has been made available for trade by the Texans and could be released, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
Johnson is coming off three injury-plagued seasons in which he played only 19 games, including only one game in 2018. The Texans picked up his $9.07 million option for 2019 last spring, but the money is not yet fully guaranteed. Given his contract and injury history, finding a trade partner is likely to be challenging.
Johnson (concussion) said doctors have cleared him and he'll "be ready to go next season," Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson was limited to one game in 2018, the second time in three seasons he's missed more games than played. The Texans exercised a team option on Johnson for 2019, and he's expected to be one of the starting cornerbacks. He's known as a physical corner and for his willingness to engage receivers.
Johnson (concussion) will not return from injured reserve by Week 11, Sarah Barshop of ESPN.com reports.
Johnson is considered a candidate to return from injured reserve this season, but it appears that the 2015 first-round pick is still a ways from returning to the field. The fourth-year pro suffered a concussion during the team's loss to New England in Week 1. Expect an update on Johnson's health following Houston's bye week in Week 10.
Texans coach Bill O'Brien described Johnson (concussion) as a "maybe" in regards to whether he could return from injured reserve this season, Deepi Sidhu of the Texans' official site reports.
Whether he returns at some point could depend on who else lands on the list in the coming weeks. If he's one of the few on the list who could return and has cleared the protocol, Johnson could eventually rejoin the Texans' secondary.
Johnson (concussion) was placed on injured reserve Tuesday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
The Texans plan to designate Johnson for return, meaning he can return to game action in eight weeks. After dealing with a concussion during the preseason, Johnson suffered a second concussion during Sunday's loss to the Patriots.
Johnson (concussion) is expected to be sidelined for 4-to-6 weeks, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
With the given timetable, Johnson is a candidate to be placed on injured reserve with the chance to return, which would also allow the Texans to sign another defensive back while Johnson is sidelined. This is the second concussion Johnson has suffered in the last month, so Houston will have to be extra cautious with the young cornerback while he recovers. In Johnson's absence, Aaron Colvin is the most likely replacement to line up at cornerback across from Johnathan Joseph.
Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said that Johnson's concussion is concerning, and the cornerback will be out for a while, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson suffered the concussion in Sunday's loss to the Patriots early in the fourth quarter on a tackle attempt of Cordarrelle Patterson. Head injuries are often difficult to set concrete timetables for, but it seems safe to say that Johnson will be out for a couple more weeks at the very least.
Johnson suffered a concussion and will not return Sunday against the Patriots.
Johnson had sustained a concussion earlier this preseason and in the 2017 season. He should be considered questionable for Week 2's matchup against the Titans, and it would not be surprising if Houston takes a cautious approach to Johnson's recovery.
Johnson has been cleared from concussion protocol, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson is thus ready to take the field in Sunday's season opener against the Patriots in a game the cornerback will be allowed to handle a normal amount of snaps, per head coach Bill O'Brien. Don't count on him for worthwhile IDP production, though, as the underperforming 2015 first-rounder faces a tough Week 1 matchup against a Tom Brady-led offense that averaged 7.9 yards per pass attempt in 2017.
Johnson (concussion) was a full participant in practice and is expected to clear the concussion protocol Wednesday, James Palmer of NFL Network reports.
Johnson has not participated in practice since suffering a concussion during the Texans' second preseason game against the 49ers. The 26-year-old, who earned praise for his growth this offseason, is expected to suit up as a starter opposite Jonathan Joseph for the season opener against the Patriots on Sunday.
Johnson (concussion) is expected back for the season opener against the Patriots, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson suffered a concussion during the Texans' second preseason game against the 49ers and hasn't played or practiced since. Coach Bill O'Brien said he's expecting Johnson to practice Wednesday and to be cleared under the NFL concussion protocol. As a backup plan, Wilson reports the Texans worked out four cornerbacks Monday.
The Texans worked out a pair of cornerbacks Monday while Johnson remains in the NFL's concussion protocol, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Free agents Teddy Williams and Zack Sanchez auditioned for the Texans, suggesting Johnson may not be available for the third preseason game against the Rams on Saturday. "Kevin is doing good," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Kevin was in here, doing better. Yes, he's doing much better." Neither free agent was handed a contract, though O'Brien said team brass was "talking about that."
Johnson will not return to Saturday's game against the 49ers after suffering a concussion.
Johnson must clear the league's concussion protocol before potentially returning to practice throughout the upcoming week, while his status for Week 3 of the preseason is now in jeopardy. There could be additional opportunities for Aaron Colvin and Johnson Bademosi to work with the first-team defense alongside veteran Johnathan Joseph during Johnson's absence.
Johnson enters training camp for the first time in three seasons without having undergone offseason surgery, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson was healthy coming out of the college when he participated in his first training camp, but has since dealt with a slew of injuries and surgeries, some of which impacted his preparation for training camp. "He's had a good offseason and he's come back in great shape," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "You know, it takes a while. You come in as a rookie and experience some injuries, it takes a while to develop your game at this level. He's come in and had a really good offseason, so it's good to see." The good offseason health has allowed Johnson to bulk up in his upper body, which should make him more of a challenge for opposing wideouts and quarterbacks, who sometimes picked on him in single-coverage situations. The Wake Forest product will continue to serve as the third cornerback despite the addition of free-agent cornerback Aaron Colvin to a well-established corps of defensive backs. The Texans moved incumbent starter Kareem Jackson to safety, so Johnson, Colvin and Jonathan Joseph will make up the top three corners.
Johnson, who missed four games last year due to injury, has been a full participant at Houston's OTAs, Deepi Sidhu of the Texans' official site reports.
Head coach Bill O'Brien cited Johnson's patience during OTAs, an indicator of greater confidence. Johnson had a strong rookie season, but has endured injuries since, limiting him to just 18 games over 2016 and 2017. The Texans remain confident in the 2015 first-round pick (Wake Forest); however, they felt the need to bolster their secondary and added free agent Aaron Colvin.
Johnson's fifth-year option was exercised by the Texans on Monday, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Johnson has endured some struggles during his first contract in Houston, some of which have been aided by injuries, but the 2015 first-round pick will continue to earn a fair share of snaps in the Texans secondary. While Houston's decision to exercise the fifth-year of his rookie contract is somewhat of a vote of confidence for the 25-year-old, the team can still release Johnson at no cost if he passes his physical at the beginning of the 2019 league year next March.
Johnson (knee) won't carry an injury designation into Sunday's game against the Colts.
Johnson suffered a bruised knee in Monday's loss to the Steelers and was a limited participant in practice this week. The 25-year-old's 2017 season has been marred by injuries and sub-par performance, as he's graded as the NFL's second-worst cornerback through Week 16, per Pro Football Focus.
|Year||Team||G||Fum||Lost||Fum Forced||Own Rec||Opp Rec||Yds||Tot Rec||TD|