2012 NFL schedule released
The NFL released the 2012 schedule Tuesday evening in all its 256-regular-season-games glory. Only five months till actual football!
|The Giants and Cowboys kickoff the 2012 NFL season on Wednesday, Sept. 5. (Getty Images)|
Good news: The 2012 NFL season begins a day earlier than previous seasons -- Wednesday, September 5 -- to avoid conflicting with the speech President Obama will be delivering at the Democractic National Convention on Thursday, September 6. The matchup to kick things off: the New York Giants will host the Dallas Cowboys at MetLife Stadium for the aptly named "NFL Kickoff 2012." Game time is 8:30 p.m. ET.
Better news: On Tuesday, the NFL announced the rest of the 2012 schedule. You can view it in all its 256-regular-season-games glory here.
Some noteworthy games:
- Week 1: 49ers at Packers
- Week 1: Steelers at Broncos, SNF
- Week 1: Bengals at Ravens, MNF
- Week 2: Bears at Packers, Thursday night
- Week 2: Jets at Steelers
- Week 3: Packers at Seahawks, MNF
- Week 3: Giants at Panthers, TNF
- Week 4: Saints at Packers
- Week 5: Broncos at Patriots (Manning and Brady reunited)
- Week 6: Giants at 49ers
- Week 7: Jets at Patriots
- Week 8: Patriots at Rams (London game)
- Week 8: Saints at Broncos, SNF (return of interim coach Joe Vitt)
- Week 9: Steelers at Giants
- Week 12: Thanksgiving Day games -- Texans at Lions, Redskins at Cowboys, Patriots at Jets
- Week 14: Chargers at Steelers
- Week 14: Falcons at Panthers
- Week 17: Panthers at Saints
- Week 17: Eagles at Giants
Other schedule-related notes (via NFL Network):
- No more than five primetime games per team;
- At least one primetime game per team;
- All Week 17 games must be divisional games;
- No road games before a road Thursday night game;
- 9 teams scheduled to have multiple Monday night appearances;
- 14 teams scheduled to have multiple Sunday night appearances;
- Only two teams have three consecutive road games: Green Bay and Houston;
- Teams to start 0-2 and make the Super Bowl: 2007 Giants, 2001 & 1996 Patriots, 1993 Cowboys.
Quotes from around the league:
|NFL releases 2012 schedule|
|NFL coverage on the go|
"That's going to be a beauty ... no doubt." - Jets head coach Rex Ryan on the Thanksgiving Day matchup against the Patriots.
"It's been a long time coming ... national TV. I'm going to have to wear something new." - Panthers WR Steve Smith talking about the nationally televised Week 3 game against the Giants.
“I’m going to be relaxed, man. I’m going to be calm, cool -- just like any other game.” - Bills DE Mario Williams on facing his former team, the Texans, in Week 9.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, and subscribe to our Pick-6 Podcast and NFL newsletter. You can follow Ryan Wilson on Twitter here: @ryanwilson_07.
The Chargers, after starting 0-4, can take first in the AFC West with a win Sunday
The Lions cruised to a victory but will need to win out to have any chance of reaching the...
Here's every official injury designation for each NFL team for Week 15
This might go down as the best catch of Week 15
Our computer model simulated every Week 15 NFL game 10,000 times with very surprising resu...
Ryan Shazier and the Steelers were the big winners in Pro Bowl voting that was unveiled on...