There are no European World Cup qualifiers this week, which means the road to Qatar in Concacaf and CONMEBOL will take center stage. The United States and Canada will meet this weekend on Paramount+ in a massive match to see who leaves this window in pole position to win the octagonal. Elsewhere, the Africa Cup of Nations heads to the quarterfinal stage, and while Brazil and Argentina have World Cup qualification locked up in South America, there is still plenty at stake in CONMEBOL action. Here are five matches to watch this weekend.
5. Gambia vs. Cameroon
Date: Saturday, Jan. 29 | Time: 11 a.m. ET
Live stream: fuboTV (Try for free)
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Gambia +675; Draw +215; Cameroon -210
Why watch: Both teams struggled more than expected in their round of 16 matchups and Gambia will be without reserve forward Yusupha Njie who was subbed on and then dismissed with two yellow cards during their win over Guinea. Gambia have been led by their defense, only allowing two goals during the tournament so far while Cameroon have used homefield advantage to push their high flying attack to new heights. This is a match that should be interesting to see how opposing styles come together in a win-or-go home scenario.
4. Colombia vs. Peru
Date: Friday, Jan. 28 | Time: 4 p.m. ET
Live stream: fuboTV (Try now)
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Colombia -165; Draw +240; Peru +500
Why watch: Both teams are in the midst of rollercoaster campaigns and are only separated by goal difference, making this a critical match. Colombia currently have the fourth spot in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying while Peru would go to the inter-confederation playoffs. But with four teams within striking distance, anything could happen over these next few match days.
3. Egypt vs. Morocco
Date: Sunday, Jan. 30 | Time: 11 a.m. ET
Live stream: fuboTV (Try for free)
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Egypt +220; Draw +160; Morocco +135
Why watch: Sofiane Boufal is having an electric tournament so far as Morocco have been one of the most fun teams to watch during AFCON. Egypt have struggled, but their experience has been enough to overcome the lack of goals from Mohamed Salah to advance to the quarterfinals. It took a penalty-shootout win to see Egypt get past Ivory Coast, but as they faced another contender for the AFCON title, this will be Morocco's biggest test yet. Along with Cameroon and Senegal, the winner of this match will be among the favorites to win the entire tournament.
2. Jamaica vs. Mexico
Why watch: Mexico need to wash the bad taste out of their mouths after losing to the United States and Canada during the last international window. With these losses, El Tri vacated first place in the octagonal and could see themselves miss out on the World Cup altogether if they don't get some points sooner than later. Jamaica have all the hype of their dual-national recruitment, but that has yet to translate into points. With time running out, they are in must-win mode in order to make a late push to qualify for the World Cup in November.
1. Canada vs. United States
Date: Sunday, Jan. 30 | Time: 3:05 p.m. ET
TV and live stream: Paramount+
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Canada +185; Draw +200; United States +140
Why watch: First and second in the octagonal will square off on Sunday. Canada will be without Alphonso Davies, but with Johnathan David in the squad, there is always a chance to cause some trouble. The winner of this match will be in an excellent position for World Cup qualification. With three games over a compressed time period, it will be interesting to see how rotation plays a part in this match, but I'd expect nothing but their strongest sides.
(All times U.S./Eastern)
Thursday, Jan. 27: A game to watch in ...
- Concacaf: USA vs. El Salvador, 7 p.m. (Paramount+)
- CONMEBOL: Paraguay vs. Uruguay 6 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try now)
- Mexico (Liga MX Femenil): Cruz Azul vs. Juarez, 1 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
Friday, Jan. 28: A game to watch in ...
- CONMEBOL: Venezuela vs. Bolivia, 5 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try now)
- France (Coupe de France): Nantes vs. Brest 3 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
- Mexico (Liga MX Femenil): Tigres vs. Atlas, 8 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
Saturday, Jan. 29: A game to watch in ...
- Scotland: Ross County vs. Rangers, 7:30 a.m. (CBS Sports Network and Paramount+)
- AFCON (quarterfinals): Burkina Faso vs. Tunisia, 2 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
- France (Coupe de France): Marseille vs. Montpellier, 3 p.m. (beIN Sports and fuboTV -- Try for free)
Sunday, Jan. 30: A game to watch in ...
- Women's Asian Cup (quarterfinals): Japan vs. Thailand, 3 a.m. (Paramount+)
- Mexico (Liga MX Femenil): Toluca vs. Pachuca, 11 a.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
- AFCON (quarterfinals): Senegal vs. Equatorial Guinea, 2 p.m. (fuboTV -- Try for free)
- France (Coupe de France): Lens vs. Monaco, 3 p.m. (beIN Sports and fuboTV -- Try for free)
- Concacaf: Mexico vs. Costa Rica, 6 p.m. (Paramount+)