Tom Brady thinks James White should've won Super Bowl MVP -- and he's right
White totaled 139 yards and three TDs, including the game-tying and game-winning scores
Tom Brady won his fourth Super Bowl MVP award Sunday evening after completing 43 of 62 passes for 466 yards, two touchdowns and a pick while leading the Patriots back from a 28-3 deficit to win Super Bowl LI. Brady was electric, magnificent, terrific, remarkable, and a hundred other superlatives you may want to use; and he was particularly so in the fourth quarter and overtime, during which he completed 21 of 27 passes for 246 yards and a touchdown.
But he should not have won Super Bowl MVP. Don't believe me? Just ask Tom Brady. While accepting his Super Bowl MVP trophy and truck, Brady clued us in on who he feels deserved the hardware.
And folks, it's OK to say this: Brady is right. Let's take a look at White's impact on Super Bowl Sunday:
- White finished the game with a Super Bowl record 14 catches (breaking the record formerly held by Demaryius Thomas), accumulating 110 yards and a touchdown with those grabs.
- White rushed six times for 29 yards and two touchdowns -- the game-tying and game-winning scores. He also scored a two-point conversion on a direct snap to cut Atlanta's lead to 28-20, setting the Patriots up to tie the game on their next drive.
- White's three total touchdowns made him just the fifth player ever to score three times in a Super Bowl, per Pro-Football-Reference. (Amazingly, only one of those players -- Terrell Davis in 1998 -- won Super Bowl MVP.)
- White's diversity of production was so rare that he became the first player in NFL history with at least 10 catches, 100 receiving yards, and two rushing touchdowns in the Super Bowl.
- White's 6.95 yards per touch were the fourth-most out of 50 players that have registered at least 20 touches in a Super Bowl.
It would be extremely difficult for a player to more directly impact a football game than White did with his play. Brady's the greatest QB many of us has ever seen, and, yes, he's got his five rings, and we should make room for him on the football equivalent of Mt. Rushmore, etc. -- but White should've gotten this particular trophy.
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
After sending their scouts home, the Raiders are apparently set to make an unexpected sele...
Despite trading for Case Keenum, the Redskins haven't ruled out taking a QB in the first r...
Get ready for the NFL Draft with everything you need to know about all 32 teams
Plus the former Washington star with similarities to Casey Hayward and more on 2019's top corners...
This is the fourth installment in a series that ranks prospects by the skills most vital to...
A trade would reportedly need to involve a first-round pick