After all the hype, Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. mostly lived up to it. The pair of legends squared off inside the Staples Center on Saturday night in an exhibition match between the two men in their 50s. And for the most part, neither man looked too far gone.
Tyson and Jones fought to an unofficial draw declared by the WBC by its three celebrity judges. The 8 two-minutes rounds provided enough time for both men to get comfortable and find the range enough times to make the action exciting while also not providing any true risk of serious injury to either. In all, it turned out to be a great showcase event for both with a fun broadcast to boot.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including instant analysis of Tyson vs. Jones and Paul vs. Robinson below.
Plus, Jake Paul showed he may have some serious power in his hands when he scored a vicious knockout of former NBA star Nate Robinson in the second round. Paul dropped Robinson twice before leaving him out cold on the canvas with a brutal right hook. He the YouTube sensation is now 2-0 as a pro with a pair of knockouts.
And former light heavyweight champion Badou Jack dismantled Blake McKernan in a featured bout with nasty body work. The musical artists also delivered as Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, French Montana and more all performed from inside the empty arena.
CBS Sports was with you all week with insight and analysis ahead of the card. Relive the previews and results from the card with our hub page below.
Fight card, results
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. results in unofficial draw
- Jake Paul def. Nate Robinson via second-round TKO
- Badou Jack def. Blake McKernan via unanimous decision (80-72, 80-72, 80-72)
- Jamaine Ortiz def. Sulaiman Segawa via seventh-round TKO
- Campbell: How much money Tyson and Jones will earn for their efforts on Saturday
- Campbell: Complete fight preview
- Brookhouse: Reliving the greatest moments of Roy Jones Jr.'s career
- Brookhouse: Tale of the tape and who has the edge breakdown
- Campbell: Five biggest storylines to follow in Los Angeles
- October: WBC creates "frontline championship" belt for exhibition
- September: Jones says he 'may have made a mistake' in accepting bout
- August: Jones Jr. threatens to withdraw from bout over date change
- Exhibition bout delayed from Sept. 12 to Nov. 28
- June: Tyson shows off speed and power in intense training video