The Football Five 🏈
- The Jets overcame an early 14-3 deficit to shock the Bills, 20-17. The Jets picked off Josh Allen twice (including one by star rookie Sauce Gardner) and sacked him five times. If the result itself wasn't unexpected enough, . The Jets earned an . Worse than the loss for the Bills, Allen .
- Joe Mixon scored a Bengals-record in a 42-21 blowout of the Panthers. Sorry to everyone who faced him in Fantasy.
- If the Buccaneers end up making a late-season charge, we'll look back on Sunday as a key moment: With no timeouts left, Tom Brady led a six-play, 60-yard drive in 35 seconds -- capped by a touchdown pass to Cade Otton -- to give Tampa Bay a 16-13 win over the Rams. Brady also reached . It was his .
- Behind 446 passing yards and a career-high 63 rushing yards from Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs defeated the Titans, 20-17, in overtime.
- The Vikings overcame a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit in a 20-17 win over the Commanders. Kirk Cousins threw a game-tying touchdown to Dalvin Cook and Greg Joseph made a 28-yard kick late to win it.
Good morning to everyone but especially to...
THE HOUSTON ASTROS
Legends born. Legacies cemented. The Houston Astros have done it, and they've done it with a team-wide dominance befitting of a champion. The Astros beat the Phillies, 4-1, in Game 6 on Saturday night to win their second World Series in franchise history -- and second in the last six years.
Let's start with the pitching, which was truly outstanding.
- After a combined no-hitter in Game 4 and Justin Verlander's in Game 5, Framber Valdez earned his second World Series win (in a week), going six innings and allowing one run.
- Héctor Neris, Bryan Abreu and Ryan Pressly each delivered a scoreless inning in relief. Abreu and Pressly combined to throw 22 1/3 scoreless innings this postseason.
- The Astros as a team posted a 2.29 postseason ERA, best of any World Series champ since the 1990 Reds.
When we talk about legacies cemented, Verlander's Game 5 did just that. When we talk about legends born, Valdez's incredible postseason did just that. Same for rookie Jeremy Peña, who won both Yordan Alvarez did just that with in the sixth inning.and . As for someone already well on his way to building a legacy,
Finally, when we talk about cementing legacies, how can we not talk Dusty Baker? One of baseball's truly lovable characters MLB expert Matt Snyder, writes
- Snyder: "Baker is now one of nine managers to win a pennant from both leagues. No other manager has ever won a division with five different teams. His 2,093 regular-season wins ranks ninth in history (the most ever for a Black manager). Of the top 11, he's the only one not yet in the Hall of Fame. ... More than anything, Baker's enduring legacy should be that he's one of the greatest human beings baseball has had."
For more on the series:
- The is today. After that, here are the Astros have to answer.
- And here are after .
Oh, and since our excellent team of baseball writers never stops, R.J. Anderson has already ranked.
- In one of the craziest soccer matches you'll ever see, LAFC beat the Philadelphia Union in penalty kicks to win their first MLS Cup.
- Edwin Díaz and the Mets agreed to .
- Russell Henley .
- Do you like offense? SMU beat Houston ... in football.
- Diana Taurasi to the Mercury for a 19th season.
And not such a good morning for...
Pick a stat! Any stat!
- Three interceptions, most since 2017
- Two red zone interceptions for the first time ever
- Zero touchdowns on four red zone drives, tied for worst in career
- Fifth straight loss, tied for longest of career
- 3-6, worst start to a season of his career
for Aaron Rodgers.
As a result, it's all bad for the Green Bay Packers, who hit a new low in a 15-9 loss to the Lions. Even in what's been a nightmarish season for Rogers, this was truly shocking. Consider what you read in the second bullet point -- two red zone interceptions -- and then consider this: He threw just two red zone interceptions in 2020 and 2021 combined.
Rodgers is far from the only problem. The wide receiver issues have been well-documented, and they got worse when Romeo Doubs . But Rodgers was awful in a game the Packers needed to have. Heck, even
Not so honorable mentions
- South Florida Jeff Scott.
Georgia dominates Tennessee, LSU tops Alabama in thriller, Clemson goes down in crazy weekend 🏈
From Rocky Top to rocky return to Earth. After earning the top spot in a 27-13 loss to Georgia in Athens. Volunteers star Hendon Hooker was sacked six times while Georgia quarterback, Stetson Bennett accounted for three touchdowns in a game that was never close., Tennessee and its explosive offense came crashing down in
For all the dramatics that game lacked, Alabama-LSU more than made up for it. In a game that featured eight lead changes, the final one was the biggest statement: After Alabama scored a touchdown and extra point on the first possession of overtime, Jayden Daniels rushed in for a touchdown, and Brian Kelly elected to go for two and the win. It worked, with Daniels finding Mason Taylor, in a 32-31 victory that had the Tiger Stadium crowd storming the field (and, surprise, ).
With the combination of results, college football scribe Dennis Dodd., writes
- Dodd: "The Dawgs were too good -- for the Vols, probably for the SEC, and perhaps for the entire country. More to the point, whether Smart will admit it, this looks like the beginning of what Saban built 270 miles down the road in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That is a dynasty that competes for championships every year. It might be too early to make such assertions at Georgia, but it sure looks to be headed in that direction."
Wrapping up a wild Saturday, Clemson got absolutely hammered, 35-14, at Notre Dame in a game that but also signals . Our projections expert Jerry Palm now has Alabama, Ohio State, TCU and Tennessee -- in that order -- as .
Here areand the . The CFP rankings will come out tomorrow night.
College basketball is back, and we have everything you need to know 🏀
Welcome back, college basketball! The road to March Madness begins tonight, and we're here to get you ready for everything that lies ahead.
We'll start with, because who doesn't love some predictions? No one picked North Carolina to win it all, but two -- including insider Matt Norlander -- did pick...
- Norlander: "Kentucky Wildcats -- Having Oscar Tshiebwe back is going to be paramount to getting this done. I'm trusting that his recent knee scope was simple and won't impact his NPOY candidacy. ... This roster doesn't look top-five in terms of overall talent at UK since John Calipari got there, but I like the pieces and their potential to fit. Elite defensive outfit that will have enough ways to shoot and score to play with, and defeat, any team. And after losing to Saint Peter's, the motivation quotient is overwhelming."
We also haveand, of course, . Here's the top five:
- 1. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
- 2. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
- 3. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
- 4. Marcus Sasser, Houston
- 5. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
Hey, those were the five players selected to! And four of those five made ! One other name to watch? I love Terrence Shannon Jr. -- 27th in -- as a key piece for what should be a good Illinois team.
On the women's side of things, our expert Isabel Gonzalez has made women's college basketball page. Enjoy!and she thinks (and reigning champion) South Carolina . I could go on and on about how excited I am for college basketball, but, sadly, this newsletter can't go on forever, so I'll direct you to our and our
Joey Logano wins second career Cup Series championship 🏁
Joey Logano is a champion again. Logano dominated from start to finish, leading 188 of 312 laps -- including the final 29 -- to win his second career Cup Series championship, along with 2018.
- Logano is the 17th multi-time Cup champion and first for Ford since David Pearson (1968-69).
- As for the other Championship 4 drivers, Ross Chastain finished third, Christopher Bell was 10th and Chase Elliott finished 28th after a mid-race crash.
- Austin Cindric won .
What we're watching Monday 📺
🏀 Jacksonville at No. 7 Duke, 7 p.m. on ACC Network
🏀 Suns at 76ers, 8 p.m. on NBA TV
🏈 Ravens at Saints, 8:15 p.m. on ESPN
🏀 East Tennessee State at No. 1 South Carolina, 8:30 p.m. on SEC Network
🏀 UNC Wilmington at No. 1 North Carolina, 9 p.m. on ACC Network
🏀 Cavaliers at Clippers, 10:30 p.m. on NBA TV
Astros World Series gear now available
The Houston Astros have won their second World Series title. Now, you can celebrate with Astros 2022 World Series championship hats, shirts, hoodies, and more. See the entire collection here.
We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.