Cervelli is set to fill the No. 2 catcher role for the Marlins when the season finally resumes.
The veteran backstop might have opened the season in the top job, but the delayed start to the campaign should give Jorge Alfaro enough time to fully recover from an oblique strain. Cervelli, who has an extensive concussion history, had a rough start to the spring at the plate before the Grapefruit League schedule was suspended, going 2-for-17 with a double, but his 5:3 BB:K suggests his timing wasn't an issue.
Cervelli agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract with the Marlins on Monday, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports.
Cervelli was released by the Pirates in August after concussion concerns put his future in jeopardy, but he was able to serve as a backup catcher for the Braves. He'll now get another chance to accrue major-league work with the Marlins after a disappointing 2019 season where he hit .213/.302/.348 with three home runs and 12 RBI. The 33-year-old could manage to carve out some playing time in Miami if he can remain healthy, but he'll likely begin the season as a backup to Jorge Alfaro.
Cervelli went 1-for-2 with a solo home run Tuesday in the Braves' 9-6 loss to the Royals.
Cervelli occupied the designated-hitter spot for the first of two games in Kansas City and was able to cut the Braves' deficit to four when he slugged his third homer of the season in the fifth inning. According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, the final bench spot on the Braves' postseason roster will likely come down to either Cervelli or rookie Austin Riley, and the veteran seems to have the edge at the moment. Along with providing a third catching option and backup at first base behind Freddie Freeman (elbow), Cervelli is also running hotter at the plate than Riley, who has struck out in 16 of his 31 at-bats since rejoining the Braves earlier in September.
Cervelli (finger) is in the lineup Saturday against the Giants.
This will be Cervelli's first start since Sept. 10. He had been out after sustaining a laceration on his left ring finger. Look for Cervelli to start once or twice more over the final week, as the Braves look to keep their two primary catchers fresh.
Cervelli hasn't played since Sept. 10 after sustaining a laceration on his left ring finger, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.
The injury explains why the Braves were compelled to call up another catcher in John Ryan Murphy from Triple-A Gwinnett on Tuesday. Murphy will temporarily slot in as the No. 3 backstop behind Brian McCann and Tyler Flowers, but Cervelli said he expects to take back those duties at some point during the final week of the regular season.
Cervelli (quadriceps) will start at catcher and bat seventh Monday against the Blue Jays.
Cervelli experienced cramping in his left quad in his last start Wednesday in Toronto, but it was never viewed as a major concern for the veteran. With the Braves welcoming Brian McCann back from the injured list Sunday, Cervelli ranks no higher than second on the depth chart at catcher and probably won't make more than a start or two per week for the rest of the season.
Cervelli (quadriceps) remains out of the lineup Saturday against the White Sox.
Cervelli's left quad cramped up Wednesday in his third game with Atlanta. He was said to be available off the bench Friday but did not appear in the game. The Braves will welcome back Brian McCann on Sunday, so Cervelli's playing time will likely be limited down the stretch as the team's No. 3 catcher.
Cervelli (quadriceps) is not in the lineup for Friday's game against the White Sox.
Cervelli was pulled from Wednesday's contest with left quad cramps, and he'll remain on the bench following Thursday's scheduled off day. The 33-year-old may not have been slated to start regardless, as Tyler Flowers will work behind the plate Friday. According to David O'Brien of The Athletic, the Braves would like to avoid using Cervelli, but he's available off the bench if necessary.
Cervelli was removed from Wednesday's game against the Blue Jays with left quadriceps cramps.
Cervelli had the cramps crop up during the second inning Wednesday as he went from first to third on a double. It's good news for the oft-injured catcher, who's been limited to 37 games this season.
Cervelli was pulled from Wednesday's game at Toronto with an apparent leg injury, 680 The Fan Atlanta reports.
Cervelli walked during the second inning but struggled to make it to third base on Rafael Ortega's double and was subsequently lifted for a pinch runner. Wednesday's contest was only the third major-league game the veteran backstop has played in since late May.
Cervelli went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run scored and three RBI in Saturday's 9-5 win over the Mets.
The oft-injured veteran catcher last suited up in the majors May 25 with the Pirates, during which he suffered yet another concussion, but after Pittsburgh released him Thursday, Cervelli quickly latched on with Atlanta and made an immediate impact in his first game with his new club. Tyler Flowers could see the bulk of the action behind the plate while Brian McCann (knee) is sidelined, but Cervelli may have more left in the tank than the Bucs thought he did.
Cervelli will start at catcher and bat seventh Saturday against the Mets.
Cervelli officially signed with the Braves on Saturday and has an immediate place in the starting lineup. It remains to be seen how playing time will be split between him and Tyler Flowers, though given Cervelli's injury history, it's unlikely he'll be the everyday starter.
Cervelli signed a major-league contract with the Braves on Saturday.
Cervelli was released by the Pirates on Thursday and found a new home quickly, adding depth to the Braves catching situation. With Brian McCann (knee) currently on the injured list, Cervelli figures to get at-bats while splitting time with Tyler Flowers behind the plate.
Cervelli (concussion) was released by the Pirates on Thursday.
This is a sad situation, as Cervelli's numerous concussions have made his future as a catcher in professional baseball pretty suspect, but his bat doesn't profile at any other position. There was a bit of a controversy earlier in the year when it was reported that Cervelli was going to give up catching, only for the veteran to say that those reports were inaccurate. He has a deal in place to join the Braves, per Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but it is unclear if it will be a major-league or minor-league deal.
Cervelli (concussion) went 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI in Triple-A action Monday.
He's hitting .375 in 16 minor-league at-bats in his week-plus rehab stint and there's a chance the team could recall him if Elias Diaz (head) is forced to the IL. Cervelli hasn't played for the Pirates since suffering a head injury in May, but he hasn't faced any setbacks while playing for Altoona and Indianapolis over the last week.
Cervelli (concussion) had his rehab assignment moved to Triple-A Indianapolis on Tuesday, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic reports.
Cervelli has been sidelined since May 26 with a concussion, but it's encouraging to see his rehab progress after just one appearance with Double-A Altoona. He'll likely still require some time in the minors due to the severity of the injury as well as his past history with concussions, but the 33-year-old is making progress in his recovery.
Cervelli (concussion) is set to begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona as a catcher on Sunday, Adam Berry of MLB.com reports.
Cervelli has been sidelined since May 26 with a concussion, though he's finally been cleared to begin a rehab assignment, There was talk that he may need to be shut down from catching moving forward after suffering another concussion, but he's not ready to give it up just yet. Considering his lengthy stay on the shelf, Cervelli is expected to require at least a handful of games in the minors to get back up to speed.
Cervelli (concussion) has caught simulated games each of the past two days, Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. "He continues to be symptom free and working back toward all catching-like activities, which is very encouraging," Pirates director of sports medicine Todd Tomczyk said.
Cervelli continues to slowly work his way back from his most recent concussion -- his sixth since 2011 -- which has kept him sidelined since May 25. Though Cervelli indicated about a month ago that his history of head injuries would prompt him to give up catching, he backed away from that stance shortly thereafter. Despite the backstop's positive progress, he remains without a timetable to return from the injured list.
Cervelli (concussion) has increased his catching activity recently, though he remains without a timetable for return, John Perrotto of DKPittsburghSports.com reports.
While Cervelli has been doing more catching during his rehab, he still hasn't been cleared for game action, per Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic. The backstop is set to be reevaluated in Pittsburgh this week, at which point a timetable for his return will hopefully emerge.
Cervelli (concussion) was transferred to the 60-day injured list Wednesday, Adam Berry of MLB.com reports.
He has been cleared to resume light catching activities, including fielding bunts, per Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic. However, it's still possible that he may not return at all this season, given the severity of this most recent concussion. Resting from now until next February may give him a chance of getting fully recovered in an effort to prolong his career as a big-league catcher.
|10/9/2019 vs St. Louis|
|vs St. Louis||20||5||0||.348||.300||.250|
|vs Syndergaard (Career)||2||0||0||0||.333||0|
|Last 7 Games|
|Complete Game Log|
|More Batting Stats|
|Minor League Batting Stats|