Bosh has unofficially agreed to part ways with the Heat in a deal made between him, the team, the union and the NBA, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports. The Heat would receive "maximum cap relief" before the start of free agency.
The deal, while still unofficial, seems all but done. Once everything is sorted out, the Heat will permanently clear Bosh's remaining $52.1 million salary off the books, even if he resumes his career elsewhere. The 33-year-old hasn't taken the floor during the past season and a half due to blood clot episodes, for which he remains on blood thinners. He last played during the 2015 season, where he averaged 19.1 points and 7.4 rebounds while playing 53 games. It's unknown at this time if he will officially retire soon, but he worked as a guest studio analyst for Turner sports for a period of five weeks during this past season -- seemingly testing the waters outside of his playing career.
Bosh (blood clots) will work as a guest studio analyst for Turner Sports over the next five weeks and seems to have ruled out a potential return this season, Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports.
Bosh made his debut on TNT on Monday night, signaling that he's already started to thinking about his post-playing career after team doctors failed his physical due to complications stemming from blood clots, an issue the big man has dealt with since February 2015. Once an independent doctor rules that Bosh's blood clots are a career-ending condition, the Heat are expected to clear the remaining two years of his five-year, $118.7 million contract from their books at some point after March 1, though Bosh will still be paid out his salary in full. Heat president Pat Riley acknowledged in September that Bosh's career with Miami was likely over, and though a release from the team wouldn't preclude the 32-year-old from exploring opportunities elsewhere, it seems that Bosh is becoming increasingly more receptive to retirement.
Bosh (blood clots) said Thursday that he's "kind of getting a taste of retirement now," and could be ready to accept that his NBA career is over, Anthony Chiang of the Palm Beach Post reports.
Bosh hasn't played in a competitive game since last February due to ongoing blood clot issues, and though he was working out this offseason in preparation for a return in 2016-17, the Heat's team doctors were unwilling to clear him for training camp. The 11-time All-Star remains a member of the 15-man roster, but team president Pat Riley said in September that Bosh's career with Miami "probably is over," so it seems likely that he'll be waived Feb. 9 or later, when the team would be eligible to apply for salary-cap relief from his contract. Bosh, who was displeased with the organization's unwillingness to clear him and previously indicated that he planned to keep his career going, is perhaps coming to grips with the reality that his issues with blood clots are severe enough to present long-term complications if he were to continue playing. Even if Bosh becomes a free agent in February or after March 1 -- when he wouldn't be eligible to play in the postseason if he signs elsewhere -- it seems rather unlikely that a team would be willing to take a gamble on him, given his problematic medical history. Even in the deepest of leagues, Bosh doesn't make for a strong stash.
Riley's comments more or less confirm what Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski had suggested over the weekend, as Heat team doctors once again denied Bosh's return to the court by failing him in his pre-training camp physical. With Bosh having already suffered setbacks with blood clots in back-to-back seasons and still showing evidence of clotting in his left calf, it's looking quite possible that we've seen the last of him at the NBA level, since a return to the court would pose major medical risks. The Heat will still pay Bosh the remaining $76 million owed on his contract, but he'll have to remain on the 15-man roster until at least Feb. 9 in order for his salary not to count against the Heat's cap. Expect him to be waived after that date.
Members of the
After seeing his past two seasons come to an early end due to blood clot episodes, Bosh failed his preseason physical earlier this week and remains without a definite timetable to return. While Bosh intimated earlier in the offseason that he hoped to get back on the court for training camp while taking blood-thinning medication, doctors weren't willing to clear him after determining that evidence of clotting still existed in his left calf. Bosh has maintained for several months that he feels healthy and said Friday that he remains hopeful for an eventual return to the court, but the Heat's unwillingness to clear him has soured his relationship with the team brass, as Wojnarowski reports that Bosh hasn't spoken with team president Pat Riley for months. Since Bosh is signed for three more years and $76 million, the Heat remain on the hook for his entire contract, and would be unable to waive him until Feb. 9 in order for his contract not to count against the salary cap. Assuming that team doctors don't budge from their assessment of Bosh's condition within the next few months, look for the Heat to release him shortly before the All-Star break, which would effectively end his NBA career.
|Last 7 Games|
|Complete Game Log|
| 18 || 19 || 20 || 21 || 22 || 23 || 24
| 25 || 26 || 27 || 28 || 29 || 30 || 1
|Career Shooting Stats|
|More Postseason Stats|
|College Career Shooting Stats|
|More College Stats|