Martin has been traded from the Blue Jays to the Dodgers, Jeff Passan of ESPN.com reports. The Blue Jays will be covering a large portion ($16.4 million) of the remaining $20 million on Martin's salary, and even so, the Dodgers probably aren't sending anything significant back in the deal. Martin was worth just 0.6 fWAR in 352 plate appearances last year -- the worst fWAR season of his 13-year career. Entering his age-36 season, he is clearly slowing down at the plate (.194/.338/.325 last year), but is still a capable defender. Barring another trade, Martin and Austin Barnes should evenly split the catching duties in 2019.
General manager Ross Atkins said Martin could play some third base in 2019, Hazel Mae of Sportsnet reports. "If he's playing (some) third base, that would be OK," Atkins said. Martin is projected to open the season as Toronto's backup behind the dish, but his ability to play third base could afford him a few extra starts in 2019. That said, Martin hasn't played more than 91 games in either of the past two seasons, and he likely won't surpass that number in his age-36 season for the rebuilding Blue Jays. He hit .194/.338/.325 with 10 homers in 90 games last season.
Martin (paternity) returned to the active roster Friday, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 The Fan reports. Martin returns to the Blue Jays after spending the three-day maximum on the paternity list. The veteran catcher is not in the lineup for Friday's game against the Yankees, and he's likely to continue receiving sporadic playing time in his new utility role over the final weeks as the team provides at-bats to its younger players.
Martin was placed on the paternity list Tuesday, Hazel Mae of Sportsnet reports. This move is unlikely to have much of a ripple effect, as Martin has played just twice in September. The Blue Jays are preferring to give at-bats to younger players, a trend which will continue even after Martin's return.
Manager John Gibbons said Martin will not play "all that much down the stretch" as the club integrates younger players into the lineup during the final month of the 2018 season, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports. This shouldn't come as a major surprise considering Martin has only played in two games dating back to Aug. 31. Danny Jansen will continue to receive a majority of the starts behind the plate while Reese McGuire will likely see an expanded role. In addition, the plethora of young infielders will take precedent instead of Martin getting the occasional start at third base. Looking ahead, Martin remains under contract for the 2019 campaign but is staring at a backup role behind Jansen barring any changes.