Knicks, at $4.6 billion, listed as highest-valued NBA team by Forbes
Oh boy, that's a lot of zeros and commas
It's that time of year where Forbes releases its annual valuations of sports teams based on internal research. The ranking of NBA teams was published on Tuesday and it showed that three franchises are valued at more than $4 billion. Congratulations to the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Golden State Warriors.
As Kurt Badenhausen, Michael Ozanian and Christina Settimi note in their report, even with some of the major negative headlines surrounding the league over the past 12 months -- TV ratings on the decline, Daryl Morey starting an international financial incident with China via Twitter and James Dolan doing what James Dolan does best (whining) -- the values as a whole have gone up 14%, and revenue has increased 10% ($8.8 billion total). To put that in context, the values of NFL teams went up 11%, and MLB teams went up 8%.
- New York Knicks, $4.6 billion
- Los Angeles Lakers, $4.4 billion
- Golden State Warriors, $4.3 billion
- Chicago Bulls, $3.2 billion
- Boston Celtics, $3.1 billion
- Los Angeles Clippers, $2.6 billion
- Brooklyn Nets, $2.5 billion
- Houston Rockets, $2.475 billion
- Dallas Mavericks, $2.4 billion
- Toronto Raptors, $2.1 billion
- Philadelphia 76ers, $2 billion
- Miami Heat, $1.95 billion
- Portland Trail Blazers, $1.85 billion
- San Antonio Spurs, $1.8 billion
- Sacramento Kings, $1.775 billion
- Washington Wizards, $1.75 billion
- Phoenix Suns, $1.625 billion
- Denver Nuggets, $1.6 billion
- Milwaukee Bucks, $1.58 billion
- Oklahoma City Thunder, $1.575 billion
- Utah Jazz, $1.55 billion
- Indiana Pacers, $1.525 billion
- Atlanta Hawks, $1.52 billion
- Cleveland Cavaliers, $1.51 billion
- Charlotte Hornets, $1.5 billion
- Detroit Pistons, $1.45 billion
- Orlando Magic, $1.43 billion
- Minnesota Timberwolves, $1.375 billion
- New Orleans Pelicans, $1.35 billion
- Memphis Grizzlies, $1.3 billion
So there you have it. If you had any hope that James Dolan would ever commit to selling the Knicks, this list -- along with New York's valuation -- should crush that hope immediately.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Tatum becomes first player since Shaquille O'Neal to have three straight games of at least...
Doncic did it in 119 games, while Kidd needed 500
The Sixers bet the house on big names that don't fit alongside their biggest stars, who are...
Jones tipped in a lob while being spun around in mid-air
About $3,000 could get you every bit of memorabilia from Kobe's public memorial
We're officially entering load management season for the Lakers