CBS Sports 130 college football rankings: USC surges back after Stanford win
Oklahoma made an important jump in our ranking of all 130 FBS teams each week
Even through the years of NCAA sanctions, USC's had a talented roster with future pros. And throughout the last decade, it has usually finished the year in the neighborhood of 10 wins. It's been the unfulfilled expectations (2012) and falling short in big-time conference contests that frustrates fans and has left college football pundits wary of declaring that USC is "back."
So when the Trojans started the year by allowing Western Michigan to not only hang around, but have real success running the ball in the opener, the CBS Sports and 247Sports voters with ballots for the CBS 130 reacted dramatically, resulting in a drop out of the top five for USC.
However, after watching USC put on a show against Stanford in a battle of Pac-12 title hopefuls, all of those worries have apparently subsided. There was a "prove it" aspect to the 42-24 win against the Cardinal, and now -- at least for the moment -- we're ready to say USC is "back."
College football experts from CBS Sports and 247Sports contribute ballots each week, which are averaged together for our rankings. You can see the top-25 below, and 26-130 on our rankings page.
- USC (+14): As we mentioned above, this is a correction to what was probably an overreaction to the Trojans struggling with Stanford in Week 1.
- South Carolina (+13): Jake Bentley is slinging that rock, and the Gamecocks have an offense that is good enough to challenge for the SEC East title.
- TCU (+12): Arguably the most impressive win of the week was TCU going into Arkansas and being the more physical team against the Hogs, dominating in the trenches and moving the ball on the ground.
- Auburn (-6): The Tigers take a slight step back in the rankings, but Auburn fans are wondering if the struggles on offense are more a credit to Clemson's defensive line or a reason to be concerned with Jarrett Stidham and the offensive attack moving forward.
- Stanford (-7): The most stunning part of Stanford's loss was USC's offensive line beating up the Cardinal in the trenches. They've got a great secondary, but in order to win the Pac-12 North, they're going to have to get better up front on defense.
- Ohio State (-10): A wake-up call in Columbus. Ohio State can still win the Big Ten as built, and can probably still make the playoff if all goes right, but if the offense does not see a vast improvement in its ability to move the ball the down the field, they will not be able to fulfill national title expectations.
Check out the rest of the CBS Sports 130: Teams ranked 26-130
CBS Sports HQ Newsletter
We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Daniels spent two seasons with the Trojans
Face coverings are available on CBSSports.com
The fading relevancy of the NCAA and different needs of the Power Five leagues may make change...
Jackson is 6-foot-1, 210-pounder who can help the Tide defense
The Buckeyes want more than another Big Ten title with expectations high again in 2020
Smith was a star high school football and basketball player at Montgomery's Lee High School
CBS Sports was with you all day covering National Signing Day as the Class of 2020 wrapped...
Complete analysis, highlights and coverage of the 2020 College Football Playoff National Championship
Live scores, highlights and updates from the Miami (OH) vs. Louisiana football game