Durant (Achilles) reiterated Friday that he will not play for the Nets when the NBA resumes play in Orlando in July, Marc Spears of The Undefeated reports. "My season is over," Durant said. "I don't plan on playing at all. We decided last summer when it first happened that I was just going to wait until the following season. I had no plans of playing at all this season." This echoes what we've heard from Durant on multiple occasions throughout the last few months, but some were still holding out hope that the two-time Finals MVP could make his return following what will be a nearly five-month delay to the 2019-20 season. Durant confirmed that he continues to make progress in his recovery from a torn Achilles, which he suffered during the NBA Finals last June, but he said that he's yet ready to return to game action. "It's just best for me to wait," Durant said. "I don't think I'm ready to play that type of intensity right now in the next month. It gives me more time to get ready for next season and the rest of my career."
Durant's manager and business partner Rich Kleiman said last week in an appearance on SiriusXM Radio that he doesn't anticipate the 10-time All-Star debuting for the Nets if the 2019-20 season resumes in July, Ian Begley of SNY.tv reports. "From my standpoint, no, I think it's unrealistic," Kleiman said, when asked about Durant's potential return. "That's just my view on it. Again, we haven't gone deep into conversation about it because of how unrealistic it all seems to me. And it's also hard to even discuss [the matter of Durant returning] in a real serious manner without any information on the season. [There is] such uncertainty day to day -- as we all [feel], outside of just the NBA -- that the whole thing just feels too unrealistic from my standpoint." In an interview earlier this month, Nets general manager Sean Marks wasn't closing the door on Durant suiting up in 2019-20, but Kleiman's comments suggest the player won't be actively pushing to play when the season restarts. Durant, who signed a four-year, $140 million deal with Brooklyn last July, understandably wants to proceed cautiously with his recovery from the surgery he required for his right Achilles' tendon, one of the more significant injuries an athlete can suffer. Before the league-wide shutdown, Durant had progressed to scrimmaging informally in 3-on-3 settings, so he might be cleared to advance to a more strenuous form of practice when the season resumes, even if playing in games isn't being seriously entertained. If the 2020-21 season begins in December, Durant would be nearly a year and a half removed from Achilles surgery, which should aid his chances of quickly recapturing his All-Star form.
Nets general manager Sean Marks said in a recent interview with Grant Chapman of Newshub that the team isn't officially ruling Durant (Achilles) out for the 2019-20. "That's a $110 [million] question. In all seriousness, we've tried not to talk about his timeline a lot," Marks said. "When you've got enough invested in a player like Kevin, we're never going to push him to come back," Marks said. "When the timing is right, he'll be 100 percent when he gets on the court. I can tell you this though -- before the pandemic, he looked like Kevin Durant, and that's a good thing." The Brooklyn brass continues to shy away from placing any expectations on Durant, who last played in June 2019, when he suffered a torn Achilles during the NBA Finals as a member of the Warriors. Durant's camp has also deflected talk of a return, as his business partner Rich Kleiman said in March that the thought of the two-time NBA Finals MVP returning in June or July was "not very realistic." However, as it looks more and more like the season could resume in the late summer or fall, the possibility of Durant making his Nets debut comes more realistic, at least in theory.
Durant (Achilles) had been taking part in 3-on-3 on-court workouts with the Nets before the NBA went on hiatus March 12, Alex Schiffer of The Athletic reports. Neither the Nets nor Durant seem to be seriously entertaining the possibility of the 31-year-old making his Brooklyn debut in 2019-20 -- whenever the season resumes -- but he looks well on his way to gaining full clearance in advance of training camp. Durant underwent surgery to repair his ruptured right Achilles' tendon last June, so he'll have well more than a full year of recovery time before he returns to competitive action.
General manager Sean Marks said Wednesday that Durant (Achilles) and the other three unnamed Nets players that tested positive for the coronavirus are all symptom-free after quarantining for the past 14 days, Greg Logan of Newsday reports. Durant is still self-isolating as a precaution, but he otherwise seems to have made a full recovery from the virus. The 31-year-old can now turn his focus to strengthening his right leg while he approaches the finish line of his recovery from last June's surgery to repair a torn Achilles' tendon. Durant previously ruled himself out for the entire 2019-20 campaign, and recent reports have suggested that will likely remain the case even with the current season suspended indefinitely. Per Logan, Marks noted that even if the regular season and playoffs resume later in the summer, the Nets won't be able to properly gauge Durant's recovery process in the interim since they aren't holding practices.
Last 7 Games
|3 Year Avg||69||634||52.4||142||38.3||381||88.4||1791||25.96||2999|