Bruins' Marc Savard says there is 'no comeback in the foreseeable future'
Marc Savard, out since 2011 after sustaining two concussions in 10 months, tweeted that there will be no comeback in the foreseeable future.
|Savard, holding the towel, is helped off the ice after taking a hit from Matt Hunwick in 2011. (US Presswire)|
Marc Savard of the Boston Bruins has been out for more than a year after suffering multiple concussions in his career. He has tweeted before about how he has some good days but many bad days and some awful days.
At 35 years old, there was probably little chance that Savard was going to be able to play in the NHL again. Sadly, he reaffirmed that belief Monday when he tweeted that he is probably done playing, something we all feared and probably knew, but it's still a bit jarring to see it coming from Savard himself.
This was his succession of tweets.
I tried to workout today with my trainer I felt like crap but I need to do it #battle— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
For the fans that keep asking there is no comeback in the foreseeable future I miss the game it has given me everything I have today— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
Trust me I will give back to the game kids hockey, OHL hockey, #illbeback— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
I do in fact hope there is still a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel to play but that rest on the doctor shoulders so far #nochance— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
That's hard to see. Savard was still a player at the top of his game when the concussions issues started to mount. In his third season with the Bruins in 2008-09, Savard had 25 goals and 63 assists.
It was in 2010 that Savard's career turned for the worse because of this most vicious blindside hit from Matt Cooke of the Penguins.
Just a reminder for all of those who complain about Brendan Shanahan's work as the discipline czar: There was no suspension given to Cooke for that hit. Colin Campbell elected not to do anything for reasons that I still don't understand.
That hit/concussion wasn't the one that ended Savard's playing days for good, though. He did return for the playoffs in 2010. But in January 2011, he suffered another concussion after a hit from Matt Hunwick -- and the Bruins elected to shut Savard down. The Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup that season, but Savard hasn't played since.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he'll play again.
Stacia Robitaille says Donald Trump told her in an elevator that she was coming home with...
Vladislav Yeryomenko was the Teddy Bear Toss goal scorer for the Calgary Hitmen
The Golden Knights are finally getting their No. 1 goalie back after a 25-game absence
Washington has won four straight, and the Kings are also on a tear right behind the Lightn...
The NHL says it's only interested in expanding to Seattle, but here's a look at all the moving...
The NHL says it is only looking toward Seattle for the next expansion team