Reports: Multiple people wounded in OKC shooting after Thunder eliminate Lakers

The reported location of a Monday night shooting -- marked with an X -- was just blocks east of OKC's arena. (Google Maps)

Update Posted (Tuesday, 7:12 p.m.)

A triumphant night in Oklahoma City took a horrible turn late on Monday.

In the immediate aftermath of the Thunder's Game 5 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday night, multiple reports indicated that multiple people were shot by gunfire about a half-mile east of Chesapeake Energy Arena in a popular area of the city known as "Bricktown."

Multiple reports early Tuesday morning indicated, citing police sources, that there were eight victims of the gunfire, including one in "critical" condition and seven others in "non-life threatening" condition. Both The Oklahoman and reported these details.

The Associated Press confirmed Tuesday morning that the victim total was eight with seven gunshot victims and a pregnant woman who was hospitalized after being "assaulted" during the incident. The AP confirms one victim is in "critical" condition while listing the other six gunshot victims and the pregnant woman in "good" condition.

The Oklahoman
, citing police sources, that 19-year-old Rodney Dewon Hill was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on "eight complaints of shooting with intent to kill." The affidavit reportedly does not say whether or not Hill was the shooter.

The AP reported Tuesday afternoon that police sources do not believe the incident was related to the Thunder game and that the gunfire took place following an argument.

"All we're hearing from some of the witnesses is there was pushing and shoving in the area," Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said. "Apparently a group of girls got into it with some guys. It was shortly thereafter that gunfire erupted."

Early Tuesday morning, Thunder center Nazr Mohammed posted the following message on Twitter: "Sad to hear what happened in Bricktown after our game. Hope everyone gets home safely. #CelebrateSafely #ThunderUp."

The Thunder defeated the Lakers 106-90 on Monday night to advance to the Western Conference Finals. They won the Western Conference semifinals series 4-1.

Original Post (Tuesday, 1:25 a.m.) 
The Oklahoman reported these details late Monday night.
Multiple people were shot downtown shortly after the Thunder game let out Monday night, police said. About 11:35 p.m., shots were reportedly fired on Reno Avenue between Mickey Mantle Drive and Joe Carter Avenue.

Two suspected shooters are in custody at the Bricktown Harkins Theater, Oklahoma City police Capt. Lisa Camacho said. also reported multiple victims in a shooting incident late Monday night.
Thousands of fans were leaving the game walking to their cars when witnesses say six shots rang out and two people were shot. One man and one woman were hit, but their conditions are not known at this time.
Update: Here's on-scene video of the aftermath of the reported shooting following Game 5 between the Lakers and Thunder in Oklahoma City, caught on video by a Thunder fan -- @ThunderUpUpUp -- and obtained by NBA blogger Royce Young.

Show Comments Hide Comments
Our Latest Stories