Aaron Hernandez charged with murder, five gun-related charges

Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murder in the death of Odin Lloyd. He also faces five gun-related charges. The former Patriots tight end, who pleaded not guilty, was denied bail.

Hernandez was arrested Wednesday morning, nine days after Lloyd was killed. He was taken from his home in handcuffs and transported by a police cruiser to the Attleboro, Mass., Police Station where he was booked.

Shortly after 2:30 p.m. ET Wednesday, Hernandez was arraigned at the Attleboro District Courthouse, where he was formally charged with murder, carrying a firearm without a license, possession of a large-capacity firearm, possession of a firearm without a firearm owner's identification card and two additional firearm charges.

Hours after the arrest -- but before the arraignment -- the Patriots released Hernandez. The organization also issued this statement: “A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

According to several reports, the Patriots decided last week that if Hernandez were arrested, the team would cut ties with him. 

During the arraignment, prosecutor William McCauley presented the case for why Hernandez shouldn't receive bail. Here are some of the details to emerge from McCauley's presentation (via Boston's WBZ):

  • On Monday, June 17, Hernandez and two other men picked up Lloyd in Dorchester, Mass., around 2:30 a.m. ET in a rented Nissan Altima.
  • According to McCauley, Hernandez was allegedly upset with Lloyd about speaking to someone at Club Rumor in Boston that weekend and claimed he couldn't trust him.
  • The four men drove around Boston, then headed south down Routes 128 and 95 before ending up on Route 152 in the Attleboro area. During this time, Lloyd exchanged texts with his sister. The last text, according to McCauley, was sent at 3:23 a.m.
  • Surveillance video showed the Altima entering a gravel road that leads to a field in an industrial park near Hernandez's home at 3:23 a.m., according to McCauley.
  • McCauley said employees in the park working at the time reported hearing gunshots. Surveillance images showed the Nissan leaving the scene at 3:27 a.m.
  • Hernandez and the two others in the car then returned to Hernandez's home less than two minutes away and shut off the surveillance video system.
  • Lloyd's body was discovered around 5:30 p.m. by a jogger.
  • McCauley said Hernandez eventually changed cars, disposed of the gun and then destroyed his home surveillance system.

The judge issued a gag order on Wednesday, meaning neither the prosecution nor the defense can talk publicly about the case. Michael Fee, one of Hernandez's attorneys, spoke briefly with the media following Monday's arraignment:

"Out of respect to that process, the defense team can not comment today on this case. We will be pursuing it in court. But we look forward to our day in court."

When asked how Hernandez was doing, Fee responded: "Aaron's fine."

Follow Ryan Wilson on Google+

CBS Sports Writer

Ryan Wilson has been an NFL writer for CBS Sports since June 2011, and he's covered five Super Bowls in that time. Ryan previously worked at AOL's FanHouse from start to finish, and Football Outsiders... Full Bio

Our Latest Stories