2018 Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep: 15-team Rotisserie Mock Draft
For the first time this preseason Heath Cummings fell behind in steals and he didn't like it.
- Draft Prep Tiers: C | 1B | 2B | SS | 3B | OF | SP | RP
- Heath's Sleepers | Breakouts | Busts |
- Scott's Top 100 prospects | Sleepers | Breakouts | Busts
I am not the guys who gets left behind in steals. I've designed my rankings to make sure of it. Until this time.
In a 15-team Rotisserie league it's hard to guarantee anything, and this is just another example. It's also an example of what can happen when you get too greedy. After Nolan Arenado fell to me in Round 1, I came to my second pick with Dee Gordon and Starling Marte at the top of my queue. Anthony Rizzo was right behind them.
Forget for a moment that I may be the only guy in America with those two ahead of Rizzo, because I took him. I assumed one of Gordon or Marte would make it back to me. Chris Towers ruined that by taking both of them, I took Brian Dozier, and I was officially scrambling for steals.
A few thoughts from this experience:
- Don't get too greedy. Get the guys you want.
- There are plenty of steals guys late, you just have to go get them... I just barely missed Delino DeShields.
- Those late steals specialists also hurt you in home runs and average.
- I'd rather have steals early.
For what it's worth, I still found enough steals to be fine in the category. I may even be good. But I think I sacrificed too much in the other offensive categories, and that's not part of my typical Roto strategy. My plan involves steals and average early and power late. That can lead to domination in the offensive categories and couple with a reliever-heavy pitching strategy can put you in good position for the stretch run.
That plan went awry today.
The experts who participated in this draft are:
- Adam Aizer, CBS Sports
- Chris Towers, CBS Sports
- Ryan McGarry, Runner-up 2017 For the People league
- George Maselli, CBS Sports
- Heath Cummings, CBS Sports
- Keith Farnsworth, Fantrax
- Kory Schulte, The Rounding Third Pod
- Lance Brozdowski, Razzball
- Matt Williams, Fantasy Pros
- Mike Kuchera, The Fantasy Man
- Nick Ritrivi, Fantasy Pros
- Phil Ponebshek, Patton & Co
- R.J. White, CBS Sports
- Scott White, CBS Sports
- Matt Kleckner, Fan
Here are the results of our mock draft:
Fantasy Baseball Today Newsletter
You're destined to gain an edge over your friends with advice from the award-winning FBT crew.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Time to get back to thinking about seven-day scoring periods, beginning with Week 18 (July...
Short week is in progress. What about the first full week after the All-Star break? Scott White...
Scott White is a senior fantasy writer for CBS Sports and released his latest trade chart
Advanced computer model that has outperformed experts tells you who to sit and start
Wondering how you can save your pitching staff? Scott White has eight breakout picks for the...
Heath Cummings gives you five players to add for the stretch run of the Fantasy Baseball s...